|Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6||Week 7||Week 8||Week 9||Week 10|
THIS WEEK IN ALABAMA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
(Nov. 11, 2012)
Week 11 - First Round of the Playoffs
The 2012 high school football playoffs have begun.
The first round saw upsets and more than a few minor surprises. Here are some
interesting facts from this week's games.
Seven number four seeds won in the first round. They include: Briarwood Christian, Greenville, Hartselle, St. Clair County, Straughn Colbert County and Hubbertville.
Central Clay County and St. Luke's picked up playoff wins for the first time in team history. Chilton County (1996), Wenonah (1997) and Hubbertville (1999) ended long streaks of not winning a playoff game.
T.R. Miller with their 55-20 win over Abbeville has now tied Hazlewood with thirty first round wins. The Tigers are also closing in on Hazlewood's record of eighty five playoff wins with eighty two of their own.
Colbert County has won twenty second round playoff games. TR. Miller follows closely with nineteen. The Indians also have more playoff appearances than any other team with thirty six.
Teams that have never won a second round playoff game include: Central Clay County and St. Lukes.
Points scored in a playoff game
* Marion County set a record for points scored in a playoff game by thrashing Meek 83-6. The eighty three points topped topped the previous mark held by South Lamar in a 2008 79-46 win over Phillips Bear Creek.
* The seventy points scored by Dadeville rank as the eighth most in playoff history.
Margin of Victory in a Playoff game
* Marion County also set a record for largest margin of victory in a playoff game topping the old mark set by Hazelwood in 1989 when they thumped Georgiana 75-0.
Points Scored by Both Teams in a Playoff game
* Hackleburg and Donoho played a slugfest last Friday with Hackleburg prevailing 66-42. The score is the fifth highest scoring affair in playoff history behind Etowah vs. Oxford in 1991 when the two accounted for a final score of 69-63.
Teams that set a record for most wins in a season
* Central Clay County - 11
* Decatur Heritage Christian - 5
* Eastwood Christian - 1
* Ellwood Christian - 5
* Horseshoe Bend - 8
* Pope John Paul II - 1
* Restoration Academy - 12
* Saraland - 7
* Sipsey Valley - 6
* St. Lukes - 9
* Tuscaloosa Academy - 12
Brantley won an amazing 62 consecutive region games between 2002-2010.