Playoff Statistics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mole7673
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2024 :  09:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a study of the playoffs and found some interesting statistics that some of y'all may be interested in.

Of the 260 county schools in the state, 124 made the playoffs. (48%)
Of the 92 city schools in the state, 59 made the playoffs. (64%)
Of the 36 private schools in the state, 25 made the playoffs. (69%)

7-A had 4 county schools and 12 city schools.

6-A had 13 county, 17 city and 2 private schools.

5-A had 16 county, 13 city and 3 private schools.

4-A had 16 county, 9 city and 7 private schools.

3-A had 19 county, 5 city and 8 private schools.

2-A had 29 county, 1 city and 2 private schools.

1-A had 27 county, 2 city and 3 private schools.

I know that competitive balance is always a hot topic when reclassification comes up. These statistics seem to indicate an advantage with city schools as well as private schools based on the percentages.

Question for the forum: In the past private schools have been made out to be the boogeyman and have been the only school subgroup that's had to deal with competitive balance. Should city schools fall under competitive balance as well based on the statistics? Should all schools, county, city, private be included in competitive balance?

I's like to get some feedback because I know that competitive balance always comes up during a reclassification period.

Thanks!

jmcgill56
AHSFHS Forum Master

102 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2024 :  10:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If someone had the time and the statistics to do this, I would be interested to see a similar study using the socioeconomic status of the area surrounding the schools and that of the students' households. I suspect there would be a positive correlation between all classifications of success in sports and higher socioeconomic status. This would not always be the case. But, I believe one would see that correlation with a study done with lots of data over many years.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2024 :  10:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmcgill56

If someone had the time and the statistics to do this, I would be interested to see a similar study using the socioeconomic status of the area surrounding the schools and that of the students' households. I suspect there would be a positive correlation between all classifications of success in sports and higher socioeconomic status. This would not always be the case. But, I believe one would see that correlation with a study done with lots of data over many years.

I think you are probably correct. There will be outliers for sure. This factors in to why I think private schools should have their own deal.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

hthe3
Forum Member

31 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2024 :  10:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that would be a really interesting study. Wealthier schools, public or private, probably have an easier time building youth/middle school leagues for development and their players probably have better access to transportation so they can participate more easily over the summer for workouts.

I recall reading about Central-Coosa struggling to get numbers several years ago because kids just could not be there to participate. No in county competition, but the kids were so spread out they couldn't really get to the school if the bus didn't take them or if they didn't have a ride.
Go to Top of Page

jmcgill56
AHSFHS Forum Master

102 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2024 :  13:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

quote:

I think you are probably correct. There will be outliers for sure. This factors in to why I think private schools should have their own deal.

Go Eagles!

I've wondered if we would ever go the private school separate playoffs route in Alabama but I just don't see it happening yet until there are more private schools that are competitive.
Go to Top of Page

Bum Pickins
Forum Member

59 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2024 :  17:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do private schools want to be in the AHSAA if they are getting a raw deal?

Also, I wish the AHSAA would release the number of transfers per school.

Edited by - Bum Pickins on 01/06/2024 17:19:21
Go to Top of Page

hthe3
Forum Member

31 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2024 :  05:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bum Pickins

I don't think there is a polite way of putting it, but: legitimacy and competition.

When/where I was in school, a lot of the private schools were never in the AISA and there were not enough to form a bigger non-AISA private school league. Can't really call yourself a state champion with a straight face if you're only playing 5 other schools every year.

So I'm sure there is a major administrative factor here that I'm not clued in to. The AHSAA private schools probably felt that the AHSAA was better run/had disagreements with the AISA.

Now that the AISA is falling apart, the AHSAA is the only stable body. Maybe there will be a push for a new private school league after if folds but I don't know that the schools are laid out evenly enough geographically/enrollment wise to make a cohesive league. I think some of the AISA schools are struggling budget wise and are hopping to the AHSAA so they can play closer located public schools and reduce travel costs.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2024 :  08:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mole, its worth noting that the bulk of your private schools are in 3A-4A & the bulk of your city schools are sitting in the higher classifications. I believe that the private & city schools are for most part all within geographical placement (metro areas of larger cities) of each other, except for the BHAM metro area (I cant think of a private athletic program in there, its all city).

Jeremy Wortham
(former RCHS student-athlete 2000-2003)

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups

Edited by - GiglnTiger on 01/07/2024 08:07:10
Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

202 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2024 :  15:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One word-- Geography. The schools that have left the AISA lately have been the larger schools that have been having to travel to play the other 3A schools in the AISA.

As I've pointed out on this forum before, the AHSAA is the only associaion in the Southeast that does not allow it's members to play crossover games with non-member schools in state. It would seem logical to give the private schools an option.
quote:
Originally posted by Bum Pickins

Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

202 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2024 :  19:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now look. There's no reason that this should not pass. https://www.riverregionsports.com/stories/aisa-applies-for-membership-in-national-high-school-federation
Go to Top of Page

powerlineman
AHSFHS Forum Master

104 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2024 :  23:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that doesn?t pass that will be the end of the AISA. This will be the only thing to give them a chance
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07