General Discussion
 Surprise teams in the playoffs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2022 :  20:39:26  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who are your surprise teams this year in the playoffs? Give us a few teams that will shock the world in 2022. Mainly teams that are not ranked in the polls.

The last three years every team that won a state championship was ranked in the final ASWA poll. The last teams to win a title without being ranked in the final poll were Central Clay County and Flomaton in 2018.

Those are the only teams do accomplish that since 2010. Only 18 teams have done it since 1980.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

UNA2004
AHSFHS Forum Member

78 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  09:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch out for Lynn in 1A, they have been over looked all year. They have a legit QB with several playmakers! Should be an all Winston county match up for the north Championship, Meek vs Lynn

Go Lions
Go to Top of Page

MHSTiger05
New Forum Member

10 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  13:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UNA2004

Watch out for Lynn in 1A, they have been over looked all year. They have a legit QB with several playmakers! Should be an all Winston county match up for the north Championship, Meek vs Lynn

Go Lions

Lynn will likely see Addison in the 2nd round if they don?t look past that & Meek doesn?t trip up against the most likely scenario of playing Pickens County and Valley Head it should be a all Winston County North Semi-Final in 1A.
Meek not being Ranked higher than 8th and Lynn not being ranked at all is a shame though
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2022 :  17:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1A: Ragland/Marion County-- This is the hardest game to pick in the first round in 1A in my opinion. I'll probably take Marion County, but I'd take either team over Valley Head in the 2nd round.

2A: Clarke County-- I'm taking the low-hanging fruit here. It's been an underwhelming year for the defending champs, despite still winning a region championship. As long as Stacy Luker is on the sidelines you'll never be able to count this team out.

3A: Ohatchee-- Going a bit out on a limb here since they play Gordo in round 1, but this is as dangerous a 4 seed as you'll find. They started 0-7, largely due to two of their most important players being hurt. Since they've been fully healthy, they're 3-0.

4A: Orange Beach-- Another battle-tested team from a strong region.

5A: Williamson-- I feel like I put Williamson here every year, but it's kind of the same ole story with this team. Stellar defense, not much offense, but with a couple of opportunistic turnovers they could beat anybody.

6A: Pinson Valley-- Very similar story as Williamson, except with a little better offense. They just have a brutal first round matchup with Mountain Brook.

7A: Enterprise of Dothan-- Region 2 was just so strong. It's not crazy to say that any of the 3rd-6th place teams in this region would have won Region 1 or 4 in 7A.
Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1266 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  00:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1A Addison if they can get by Spring Garden in Rd2 they could be a tough out in a rematch with Meek

2A Clarke Co. people are sleeping on them if they go just by their record. They played a tough non region schedule for a 2A team I think they're built for a deep playoff run.

3A Pike Co. could make a run in a toss up of a south bracket

4A West Morgan should be ranked. They're underrated in a stacked north bracket.

5A Arab while ranked they have never made a ru in the playoffs. If they can get past Moody in rd2 they avoid Leeds until the semi finals and anything can happen.

6A Gadsden City this could be the best team in school history but they get tough match ups in their side of the bracket

7A Austin a tough scrappy team with the hardest road to Auburn in the state. But they've found ways to win all season.
Go to Top of Page

BrianYoung
Forum Member

41 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  08:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3A, I could see any of the region 6 teams going further than expected or being a tougher out than expected. Other than Piedmont which is normally expected to do well.
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  15:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cwak

1A Addison if they can get by Spring Garden in Rd2 they could be a tough out in a rematch with Meek

2A Clarke Co. people are sleeping on them if they go just by their record. They played a tough non region schedule for a 2A team I think they're built for a deep playoff run.

3A Pike Co. could make a run in a toss up of a south bracket

4A West Morgan should be ranked. They're underrated in a stacked north bracket.

5A Arab while ranked they have never made a ru in the playoffs. If they can get past Moody in rd2 they avoid Leeds until the semi finals and anything can happen.

6A Gadsden City this could be the best team in school history but they get tough match ups in their side of the bracket

7A Austin a tough scrappy team with the hardest road to Auburn in the state. But they've found ways to win all season.

Pike County is a major sleeper for sure. I just went back and looked at their season so far, and I hadn't realized that all 3 of their losses were by a single point.
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  16:47:40  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are my surprise teams.

1A - Addison. If they can get past Spring Garden they will have a chance.

2A - Aliceville. In a relatively easy side of the bracket until they get to Fyffe in the semis. Also Vincent. They could get to Auburn if Ariton stumbles along the way.

3A - Alabama Christian. I really think the winner of the Pike County vs. Alabama Christian game has a shot. Also Dadeville unless the St. James QB gets really hot in the playoffs.

4A - West Morgan. Their biggest test prior to the semis may be in the first round against Westminster Christian. Also Randolph and West Morgan could meet in the third round for a shot at the semis and Auburn.

5A - Charles Henderson. If UMS-Wright stumbles somewhere look for Charles Henderson to be in the semis.

6A & 7A. The only surprise team I can find here would be Gardendale. I do not think we will have many upsets in the top two classes. I guess Carver could pose a threat in 6A.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

289 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2022 :  20:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to say a couple northern unranked teams to truly meet the "surprise" definition.

I think West Morgan has a good shot at the semifinals. Their biggest challenge IMO would be Cherokee County in round 2 if it comes to that. The only team that beat them all year is in the other half of the north bracket.

5A in the north has been extremely top heavy with Leeds, Pleasant Grove, and Ramsay. If there's one unranked team that could knock off one of these I'd go with Guntersville. They lost their QB in the Scottsboro game but look like they've been settling in the freshman backup nicely the last few weeks. They've still got a capable defense that might give Ramsay some problems in round 2.

I've ridden Decatur as a surprise team all season and I'm going to see it through. They're opening game at Fort Payne will be tricky. But if they get by the Wildcats I like their matchup in the second round against the Gardendale/Oxford winner.

I can't pick anyone in 7A Region 4 as I'm going to be surprised if Region 4 isn't swept. They're ranked but if I had to pick any team it'd be Hewitt-Trussville. Huskies lost to Thompson by 2 and Hoover by 10. Maybe if they catch Hoover looking ahead.

Edited by - mcslate on 10/31/2022 20:24:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07