New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2022 :  18:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A: Thompson vs Clay-Chalkville
I've been waiting for this one all season. The defending champions of each of the state's two largest classifications. The battle will be Clay-Chalkville's powerful offense vs Thompson's unmovable defense. A couple weeks ago I'd have thought Clay-Chalkville had a real shot, but after getting shut down by Pinson Valley, the Cougars look vulnerable.
Pick: Thompson wins 42-14

6A: Mountain Brook vs Hoover
It has been a while since Hoover has dropped down to face an opponent from a lower classification, but Mountain Brook is a worthy opponent. Just a few years removed from being a 7A school themselves, Mountain Brook's dominant defenses have carried them deep into the postseason each year since they dropped to 6A, but they've yet to reach a title game. Hoover is coming off their best win of the season over Hewitt-Trussville.
Pick: Hoover wins 17-10

5A: Faith Academy vs St. Paul's
Both of these teams face very real possibilities of missing the playoffs for the first time in several years, especially St. Paul's. While this isn't a region game, there's a good chance one or both of these teams will need to win a tiebreaker to reach the postseason, which makes this a monumentally important game.
Pick: St. Paul's wins 20-7

4A: Bibb County vs Andalusia
Andalusia came away with a statement win last week over Montgomery Academy 49-7. The talk all year long in 4A has revolved around Montgomery Catholic, but the bulldogs surely believe that they should be considered the title favorites in 4A after demolishing the defending 3A runner-up. But the Choctaws of Bibb County are a strong team in their own right. They could make a deep playoff run in November, but they'll be outmatched this week.
Pick: Andalusia wins 42-7

3A: Piedmont vs Anniston
This is another one I've been looking forward to for weeks now. This is a Thursday night TV game on channel 68 for me, so I'll finally get to see these two teams in action for the first time this year. It'll be interesting to see just how far these two teams are willing to go to win this non-region game, especially considering both have very real championship aspirations. It's hard to pick against Piedmont, especially at home, but Anniston has a ton of talent.
Pick: Anniston wins 26-14

2A: Pisgah vs Sylvania
Although they don't look like the state title contenders I thought they'd be, Sylvania still has a strong squad this year. But Pisgah, a team with high expectations coming into the year, appears from the outside to be every bit of a title contender. This will be a major test, but if they can get past this one, Pisgah should be favored in each of their next two games before they face the ultimate test against Fyffe.
Pick: Pisgah wins 32-27

1A: Brantley vs Highland Home
Highland Home came into the season with lofty expectations after a Cinderella run to the semifinals a year ago, and they've met those expectations to this point with a 5-0 start. Brantley suffered a rare region loss a couple weeks ago to Elba, but they haven't lost multiple games in a single regular season since 2018.
Pick: Highland Home wins 36-14

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2022 :  09:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last Week: 2-1 Season: 11-4

Lauderdale County @ Lexington

A huge county rivalry that LCHS has dominated in recent memory. This year could be Lexingtons best chance in years. LCHS surprised me with last weeks performance. Not that they beat CCHS (which I had) but in the manner in which they did. Lexington only has the 1 point loss to Pisgah earlier this year, a game which you could argue they should've won. I think LCHS defense comes to play, but the question is can their offense get going? Same could be said for Lexington.

Prediction: Lexington 21 LCHS 14

Mars Hill @ Russellville

Mars Hill, once again, steps up class to play an out of region opponents. I have said before that Thompson and Hansen can score on anyone and that includes 5A north power Russellville. IMO, and some will disagree, these teams are led by two of the best coaches in the area and I expect it to be a bit of a chess match. At the end of the day, I just don't see Russellville being able to stop Hansen or being able to move the ball on the ground against Mars Hills defensive front.

Prediction: Mars Hill 32 Russellville 20

West Limestone @ East Limestone

Big rivalry game that was decided by 3 points last year. Both teams seem to be in a rebuilding mode and not quite as potent as last years teams. If West Limestone runs more of the fullhouse backfield (which they had great success with against Brooks, just didn't use it much) then I think that will give ELHS fits. This game really could go either way and I have went back and forth on it. East has beaten Central Florence by 3, which is pretty close to the talent level currently at West Limestone, but just because A beats B and B beats C, that doesn't mean that A beats C. I think West pulls off what some might consider a slight upset.

Prediction: West Limestone 24 East Limestone 21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07