Games to Watch Week Five
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

265 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2022 :  11:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome back to my weekly edition of the games to watch from around the state. I try to get each area covered so forgive me if I don't get a team from your region. This week we have a loaded slate of games. Let's get started!

7A: Thompson vs Clay Chalkville
Game of the year potential in this one. Clay Chalkville comes in riding a 19 game win streak. Thompson has bounced back after starting off 0-2. A lot of people will have their eyes on this game. You have arguably the two best teams in the state battling it out for our entertainment. Can Clay Chalkville put in a statement saying they are one of the best teams regardless of classification? Or will Thompson continue to improve and remind the state who is really the big dog. My Prediction: I have picked against Clay Chalkville during their win streak and have came up empty. I haven't picked against Thompson really. I think Thompson just has more talent and takes home the win and continues to improve. Clay Chalkville falls, but continues to be favorites in 6A. Final Score: Thompson 34 Clay Chalkville 28

6A: Theodore vs Opelika
After getting upsetted last week by Pratville, Opelika will host Theodore who looks hungry for a 6A title. Opelika has no time to lick their wounds as they host a very good team. Theodore took down Spanish Fort to put their claim in for the region title. That region is as hard as any region in the state. Opelika needs to win to keep their momentum going. My Prediction: I am taking Opelika and here is why. Opelika is the home team and Theodore has to make the long drive to Opelika. I think Opelika has heard a lot about them dropping to Pratville and comes out for revenge. Theodore loses a close one, but still has everything in front of them. Final Score: Opelika 28 Theodore 25

5A: Ramsay vs Auburn
How about Lee County Alabama pulling out all the stops to have one of the best weeks of the season. Auburn comes in rolling as the number one team in the state. This is the Auburn team we expected last season. Ramsay is coming in off a win. These two teams are some of the best in the state regardless of classification. Ramsay is always a contender no matter what, they got a good coach. My Prediction: I think Auburn is too much for Ramsay and continues their hold on the number 1 spot in 7A. Final Score: Auburn 35 Ramsay 22

4A: Andalusia vs Bibb County
I know what game you are thinking and yes I am going to talk about that in 3A. Andalusia has came out and has destroyed all competition in their way. They are a battle tested crew. They have a large group of seniors and should be considered one of the favorites to win 4A. Bibb County has wins over teams like Gordo. They have lost two close games against good teams. Bibb's record should not fool you, they are good. My Prediction: I think Andalusia will win and continue to march their way into an impending match with Catholic. Final Score: Andalusia 28 Bibb County 13

3A: Piedmont vs Anniston
This is the game I was referring to early. Anniston comes in undefeated. Piedmont lost a close game to Cherokee County. Anniston has a veteran group and has basically crushed all opponents except Jacksonville. Piedmont looks like Piedmont and I am sure Saint James and Mars Hill will be watching this game with popcorn. My Prediction: I am taking Anniston to defeat Piedmont and here is why. Anniston only lost two starters from last years squad. They are big, fast, and good. I think Piedmont is good, but I think Anniston just outscores them. Final Score: Anniston 36 Piedmont 28

2A: Ariton vs Straughn
This is a wiregrass game between two teams who haven't played in a long time. 1993 to be more specific was the last time these two teams met. They are not located to far from one another and should bring a good game for those in attendance. My Prediction: Straughn has seemingly done this for three years in a row. They benefit from playing a lite schedule early and usually get hammered later in the season. However their region is pretty bad so maybe they can continue their success, just not against Ariton. Final Score: Ariton 21 Straughn 6

1A: Brantley vs Highland Home
If Brantley wouldn't lost already boy this would be such a high stake match. However it still is, just not as much. Highland Home has continued their success from last years surprise playoff run and is on fire. Brantley destroyed Kinston, no surprise there so both teams are ready on all fronts for this small town matchup in rural Alabama. My Prediction: Brantley somehow does this every year it feels like they will win it all and just comes up shot. I think Highland Home is legit and gives Brantley their second lost of the season. Final Score: Highland Home 28 Brantley 18

That is it for this week and let me know if you got any games you will be watching this week would love to hear them. Have a great weekend and see you all next Thursday.

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

287 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2022 :  12:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this week. Usually my favorite week of the season. Loaded with rivalry games and other top team matchups that coaches schedule as they prepare a playoff push. I can only give my area where I live which is right on that theoretical Region 7/Region 8 border.

6A #7 GARDENDALE ROCKETS (3-1, R5 2-0) @ 7A AUSTIN BLACK BEARS (3-2, R4 3-0)

Austin started the season 0-2 with losses to Hartselle and Decatur who are a combined 10-0. They've since rebounded with 3 straight including a huge upset win over Sparkman. Gardendale is a hot team known to put up a lot of points. That offense versus Austin's front 7 is what makes this game so compelling. Going with the slight nod to the bigger school and home team.

Austin 31, Gardendale 27

6A #6 HARTSELLE TIGERS (5-0, R7 2-0) @ OXFORD YELLOWJACKETS (3-2, R6 2-1)

I think this is a dangerous trap game for Hartselle with Muscle Shoals looming next week. The Tigers underwhelmed in the first of four straight games last week at Gadsden City and were fortunate to escape with a win. Don't know much about Oxford this year but it looks like they've played a rough schedule so far and shouldn't be intimidated at all. I'm looking for a low scoring game with the visitors prevailing with a defensive stop at the end.

Hartselle 17, Oxford 13

6A FORT PAYNE WILDCATS (3-1, R8 1-1) @ 5A #8 ARAB KNIGHTS (5-0, R7 3-0)

Fort Payne had long dominated this series until Arab finally knocked off the Cats last season. Arab should have back its biggest receiving playmaker which should help an offense that had sputtered at times the last couple of games. They'll need him because I believe that's the difference in the game.

Arab 31, Fort Payne 21

5A RUSSELLVILLE GOLDEN TIGERS (3-2, R8 3-0) @ 3A #2 MARS HILL PANTHERS (4-1, R8 3-0)

I guess you could call this a David vs Goliath matchup but which one is which? MH hasn't let a devastating opening loss mar their season as they've thoroughly whipped their next 4 opponents. If there's one team that I still don't have a great read on at this point like I should, it's Russellville. They may be one of this year's "which team will show up" teams which isn't a good sign in the playoffs. Going to go with a team I trust more.

Mars Hill 38, Russellville 17

Edited by - mcslate on 09/22/2022 13:20:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07