Shoals Area Games to Watch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2021 :  15:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al.com does a feature similar for the areas they cover. So I thought I would put one here.

Brooks (3-0) vs. Priceville (2-0)

Both teams are starting to get some recognition with both receiving votes in the latest ASWA poll. Brooks leads the all-time series 4-1, but Priceville's only win in the series came last year 42-35 on a late touchdown. Priceville is giving up 3.5 ppg and averaging 47 ppg. Brooks is giving up right at 12 ppg while averaging just over 30 ppg. This game features two contrasting styles. Brooks likes to sling the ball around and allow their QB Murks to make improvised plays. Priceville has a grind it out, clock control offense led by running back Mason Cartee. Brooks lineup looks drastically different than the team they fielded last year against Priceville, but make no mistake, Priceville is a legitimately good team.

Prediction: Brooks 24 Priceville 14

Sheffield (1-2) vs Colbert County (2-1)

This could establish a front runner for a home playoff position in region 8. Hatton and Lexington will have some say in that as well. Colbert County has looked pretty solid in every game. They have a bruising offense line that can open up huge holes. Sheffield has talented athletes all over the field, starting with wide receiver Devin Doss. While Sheffield has a losing record at this point, largely in part their tough schedule. The general conensus around this team is that under new Coach Harold Wisdom, the quality of play is up greatly. This game will come down to two things IMO. Will CCHS run between the tackles? I know against Brooks they ran a lot of sweeps and Brooks defense was too fast for that. Of course, not all defenses will have the same speed, but their offensive line is a great strength. Also, can Sheffield find ways to get the ball in Devin Doss hands more? I know they have struggled some in the passing game, but I would do everything in my power to get Doss as much touches as possible.

Prediction: Colbert County 31 Sheffield 16

Central Florence (3-0) vs. West Limestone (2-0)

Defending region champion and #4 ranked West Limestone host a Central team averaging just under 46 points a game. West Limestone held on to beat Central last year 28 to 20. West Limestone has taken care of their business thus far and looked far more impressive than I certainly thought they would. Central is using multiple running backs and the play of QB Carson Brewer to keep opponents honest. West Limestone comes off a huge 2 point victory against Deshler @ Deshler. They are on an 8 game region winning streak and looking to keep it alive. I am calling for the upset in this one.

Prediction Central 27 West Limestone 16

Edited by - TheMUBM on 09/10/2021 08:41:32

mcslate
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

286 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2021 :  21:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in seeing Priceville's first real test. Chris Foster is quietly building a solid program. They seem all around improved despite losing a very good running back from last 2 years.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2021 :  08:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Been really impressed with what they have done over there. Cartee is a spectacular back. Their style of offense is going to be a big test for this Brooks defense, which is very fast but has shown vulnerabilities between the tackles at times.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07