Games to Watch Round 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

267 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2021 :  10:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning and welcome back to another weekly edition of Games to Watch. I am going to miss writing these every Thursday. But for now we will press onward for this weeks games to watch

7A: Central Phenix City vs Theodore
If you remember last week I said that Theodore struggles in the playoffs. Last week was no different as they should've fallen to Pratville, but battled back for a victory. I think Theodore might had been looking ahead for this matchup and slept walk into that game. CPC cruised to a victory over Daphne which is impressive because Daphne was a solid team. CPC is hosting and it will be interesting if Theodore has anything left in the gas tank. My Prediction: I think this one is going to be good in the 1st half and then CPC will take over. Central Phenix City punches their tickets to the semi finals. CPC wins, 42-24

6A: Hueytown vs McGill Toolen
In 6A I believe this will be the highest scoring game of the playoffs. Both teams have explosive offenses and pride themselves on it. Hueytown has been branded as one of the best teams in 6A. McGill is always a dangerous team to play in November. This should be a fast pace shoot out. My Prediction: Hueytown will take this game and get prepared to most likely face Opelika. Hueytown wins 56-49.

5A: Faith Academy vs Central Clay County
There are a few games that I could've chosen here, however I think UMS, and Andalusia will roll their opponents and rematch to reignite their rivalry. However we are talking about Faith vs Central here. Central has confused me this year and so has Faith. Each time I think I know what they are like, they surprise me. Central lost to Pleasant Grove and that is okay, I think they will make it to the title game. Then they got embarrassed by Tallassee, don't let that score fool you. Then Tallassee gets shut out by Greenville(I am not very high on Greenville). Faith seems to be able to beat everyone, except St. Pauls. I have a slim idea of who will win this game. My Prediction: I think Faith will win but close since they host. Faith wins close, 31-30.

4A: Handley vs Bibb County
I chose this game over St. James vs Jackson because I chose St. James last week and spoiler, I was right about them beating Anniston. I did not want to choose Vigor vs Cherokee because I think Vigor will win with little worry. However that drive for Vigor is brutal so it could be interesting. I chose this game for one reason and one reason alone, this is the end of Handley's run at a state title this year. My Prediction: Bibb County will take down Handley and make their statement of being one of the best teams in 4A. Bibb wins, 35-28

3A: Winfield vs Ohatchee
I think Winfield could represent the north bracket at the end of the season and could be playing Montgomery Catholic in Birmingham. But this will be their first true test on the gauntlet of 3A North. If they want to represent, you have to take down a big name like Ohatchee. My Prediction: I think Winfield will win and get the pleasure of playing Piedmont next week. Winfield wins 42-21.

2A: Clarke County vs Ariton
In the past months I had sung praise to Ariton claiming them to be the representatives for the 2A South. Well, they lost to Elba, and they got my hopes down but this game should be great. Ariton has been a great surprise this season and Clarke County is always a great team. If Ariton wants to prove they belong, you have to take down of the best 2A teams. My Prediction: Clarke County lost to Thomasville which makes them vulnerable. I will take Ariton in a close game. Ariton wins 36-28.

1A: Keith vs Notasulga
These two teams, wow who would've guessed how good they both would be in November. Keith winning their first region title since 1997? Notasulga probably would be region champions in every other region if Maplesville did not exist. Keith has had a magic season and is looking to advance to the 3rd round for the first time ever. Notasulga is a very good 1A team and I think this will be the best 1A game of the season. My Prediction: It breaks my heart to write this, as I have been loving the dream season of Keith. But the dream season ends on Friday to a Notasulga team who is one of the few teams I could see taking down Brantley. Notasulga wins close 28-18.

That is all for this week! We will continue next week for the 3rd round and I look forward to it. Have a good weekend.

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2021 :  23:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A: Enterprise at Auburn
Enterprise stunned Fairhope last week, so they're riding with a ton of momentum coming into this one. They beat Auburn in the regular season a year ago, and played them close this year just a few weeks back. Auburn seems to be playing their best ball of the year over the past month, though.
Pick: Auburn wins 27-17

6A: Spanish Fort at Opelika
So many options for this week's 6A game--this one, Clay-Chalkville vs Briarwood, Jackson-Olin at Mountain Brook--but I'll take this one for one reason. Spanish Fort has never lost earlier than the quarterfinals. Opelika is one of the most consistent programs in the state, and all 3 of their losses came to bigger schools, so they're a relative unknown this year as fas how they stack up against the other top 6A teams.
Pick: Spanish Fort wins 28-16

5A: St. Paul's at Pike Road
Well if you had told me four months ago that St. Paul's would likely be a road underdog in the second round I'd have thought you were crazy. While they struggled to score early in the season Pike Road has been scoring in bunches all year. This is a matchup of strength vs strength. The St. Paul's defense vs the Pike Road offense.
Pick: Pike Road wins 31-17

4A: Gordo at Oneonta
This year has not lived up to Gordo's expectations to say the least. Their QB is a gamebreaker, so I don't think anyone expected them to lose multiple games in the regular season. Oneonta might be the hottest team in 4A right now and always finds a way to make a deeper run than they should on paper.
Pick: Oneonta wins 34-28

3A: Ohatchee at Winfield
Ohatchee can 100% win this game. I think they're actually the better team. What scares me though is the long road trip. Winfield's record speaks for itself, albeit in a weaker region than Ohatchee's. This should be a great game, but Winfield will have no shot against Piedmont next week should they win. The only teams that can beat Piedmont in the north are Fyffe and Ohatchee.
Pick: Ohatchee wins 33-21

2A: Sulligent at Southeastern
Ariton at Clarke County is definitely the biggest game of the week, but I think this is the most interesting. Both of these teams pulled off significant upsets in the 1st round. Southeastern routed Lexington, who had been a trendy sleeper pick, while Sulligent beat region champion Pisgah. Somebody's cinderella story ends here.
Pick: Southeastern wins 43-2

1A: Notasulga at Keith
Keith was the story of the year in all classes in the regular season, dominating defending champion Linden en route to a region title. Notasulga hoped to challenge Maplesville for their region, but got crushed in that matchup. I picked Notasulga before the playoffs began, but Keith took care of business easier than I expected in the first round. I'm a believer in them as legitimate contenders now.
Pick: Keith wins 30-20
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  09:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only 4 teams remain in the Shoals area

5A
Fairview @ Russellville

In my bracket I have RHS losing this round, but it was to Fairfield and not Fairview. Even though Fairview was the 2 from their region and Fairfield was the 3 from their region, I think that a lot of people would consider the Fairview victory a bit of a mild upset. Now with Russellville being home and playing a team they match up better with athletically, I think Russellville can stick around for one more round.

Russellville 28 Fairview 21

4A
Randolph @ Brooks

Two teams that are very similar in the packages they run on both offense and defense. Both teams have stellar quarterbacks who are the focal point of the offense. Hunter for Randolph has thrown for over 2600 yards and 32 tds while also rushing for 812 and 14 tds. Murks for Brooks has thrown for just over 2000 with 20 TDs and ran for 1020 and 15 TDs. This game is likely to come down to which team makes a big play on defense. I like Brooks chances because of the secondary being extremely talented. Haven't got to talk about them much this year because Brooks hasn't played a lot of teams that sling the ball around, but trust me, it's a special unit.

Brooks 42 Randolph 31

3A
Lauderdale County @ Piedmont

One team won their region and has 1 loss, the other is Piedmont. Not what you'd typically see, but as we all know Piedmont only finished third because of a three way tie that could have just as easily worked out in their favor if a few more things had went their way. Piedmont is big, physical and talented. I think there is a feeling that this game can get away from LCHS, but as someone who has watched LCHS a few times this year, I think they can hang. They are super disciplined and if they play like they did against Brooks, tough defense and long sustained drives, then they may find themselves in a position to pull off this upset. That being said, I think Piedmont is just a little too much.

Piedmont 29 LCHS 14

2A
Tanner @ Mars Hill

These teams have one common opponent and that was Lexington. Tanner lost by 33 while Mars Hill won by 8. Tanner is big upfront, but I can't see them being able to stop Mars Hill's weapons. I don't know that this will be competitive very long.

Mars Hill 55 Tanner 22
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  12:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2A I am only doing these because they are the only ones I have firsthand knowledge of. It is all about how they match up.

Southeastern vs Sulligent- We played SE in a jamboree and played Sulligent in the 1st round. I think Sulligent wins because they have a big, strong running game. SE is athletic like we (Pisgah) are. Not sure if SE will be able to manage the sustained physicality Sulligent plays with. Sulligent 28-21

Tanner vs Mars Hill I think Mars Hill wins going away. Tanner is very big up front. They play very hard on DL but they don't play with same intensity on offense. Tanner has a playmaker at WR but the QB is more of a run threat than a passer. Tanner will have a shot if #55 and #52 have huge games from the DL. I think MH will be able to slow them down enough and make big plays that Tanner cannot answer. MH 42-17

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  18:59:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kodyaufan2

7A: Enterprise at Auburn
Enterprise stunned Fairhope last week, so they're riding with a ton of momentum coming into this one. They beat Auburn in the regular season a year ago, and played them close this year just a few weeks back. Auburn seems to be playing their best ball of the year over the past month, though.
Pick: Auburn wins 27-17

6A: Spanish Fort at Opelika
So many options for this week's 6A game--this one, Clay-Chalkville vs Briarwood, Jackson-Olin at Mountain Brook--but I'll take this one for one reason. Spanish Fort has never lost earlier than the quarterfinals. Opelika is one of the most consistent programs in the state, and all 3 of their losses came to bigger schools, so they're a relative unknown this year as fas how they stack up against the other top 6A teams.
Pick: Spanish Fort wins 28-16

5A: St. Paul's at Pike Road
Well if you had told me four months ago that St. Paul's would likely be a road underdog in the second round I'd have thought you were crazy. While they struggled to score early in the season Pike Road has been scoring in bunches all year. This is a matchup of strength vs strength. The St. Paul's defense vs the Pike Road offense.
Pick: Pike Road wins 31-17

4A: Gordo at Oneonta
This year has not lived up to Gordo's expectations to say the least. Their QB is a gamebreaker, so I don't think anyone expected them to lose multiple games in the regular season. Oneonta might be the hottest team in 4A right now and always finds a way to make a deeper run than they should on paper.
Pick: Oneonta wins 34-28

3A: Ohatchee at Winfield
Ohatchee can 100% win this game. I think they're actually the better team. What scares me though is the long road trip. Winfield's record speaks for itself, albeit in a weaker region than Ohatchee's. This should be a great game, but Winfield will have no shot against Piedmont next week should they win. The only teams that can beat Piedmont in the north are Fyffe and Ohatchee.
Pick: Ohatchee wins 33-21

2A: Sulligent at Southeastern
Ariton at Clarke County is definitely the biggest game of the week, but I think this is the most interesting. Both of these teams pulled off significant upsets in the 1st round. Southeastern routed Lexington, who had been a trendy sleeper pick, while Sulligent beat region champion Pisgah. Somebody's cinderella story ends here.
Pick: Southeastern wins 43-2

1A: Notasulga at Keith
Keith was the story of the year in all classes in the regular season, dominating defending champion Linden en route to a region title. Notasulga hoped to challenge Maplesville for their region, but got crushed in that matchup. I picked Notasulga before the playoffs began, but Keith took care of business easier than I expected in the first round. I'm a believer in them as legitimate contenders now.
Pick: Keith wins 30-20

I have Southeastern winning 43-28 just to clarify. Not 43-2 lol.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2021 :  18:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

2A I am only doing these because they are the only ones I have firsthand knowledge of. It is all about how they match up.

Southeastern vs Sulligent- We played SE in a jamboree and played Sulligent in the 1st round. I think Sulligent wins because they have a big, strong running game. SE is athletic like we (Pisgah) are. Not sure if SE will be able to manage the sustained physicality Sulligent plays with. Sulligent 28-21

Tanner vs Mars Hill I think Mars Hill wins going away. Tanner is very big up front. They play very hard on DL but they don't play with same intensity on offense. Tanner has a playmaker at WR but the QB is more of a run threat than a passer. Tanner will have a shot if #55 and #52 have huge games from the DL. I think MH will be able to slow them down enough and make big plays that Tanner cannot answer. MH 42-17

Go Eagles!

You dang near hit that Tanner Mars Hill score on the head.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2021 :  05:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

Go Eagles!

You dang near hit that Tanner Mars Hill score on the head.

I had a big swing and a miss on the Southeastern vs Sulligent game! I cannot figure out that region. Southeastern and Sand Rock are both very competitive at times and then look terrible at others. Now SE is making a bit of a run. They lost to Cleveland 49-0 in regular season. Still have no idea what to assume for Friday!

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07