Games to Watch October 1st.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

265 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  14:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon, It is Thursday and you know what that means, it is time for the games to watch for this week! last week went pretty well, Central Phenix City surprised me by how they won against Opelika. I was wrong about Leroy beating Sweet Water, Sweet Water proved they are one of the best teams in 1A. I was also wrong about Keith, however I think Southside Selma is a very good team and Keith should not feel bad after that loss. Anyway, on to this weeks games to watch!

7A: Auburn vs Central Phenix City
These two schools are most likely the best schools in the south to contend with Thompson. Also there is a very good game between Hoover and Hewitt Trussville. You can watch this game or that game and you will be in for a treat for either one. Auburn has looked very good so far, however CPC has looked just as, if not better than Auburn. I think that CPC put a lot of people on notice by how dominate they were against Opelika, a team Auburn struggled to put away. I think this game will be very entertaining and this will not be the last time they face this season. My Prediction: CPC victory of Opelika makes me believe that they are better than Auburn so far in the season. I think Auburn will come together and have a great football season, and will face Central Phenix City one more time in November. However for this game, I will take the Red Devils. CPC wins over Auburn, 38-26.

6A: Clay Chalkville vs Jackson-Olin
A top ten matchup in 6A, you could make the argument that this could be the biggest game of the year in 6A. Jackson Olin has really surprised me this season. Clay Chalkville is number 2 for a reason. Jackson Olin is a scary opponent to face and here is why. They are playing with house money now and have nothing to lose. Not a lot of people expected them to be a top ten team this season. Clay Chalkville has a lot of pressure to be the team to represent the north in the state title this season. Overall I think this will be a very fun game with a lot of offense.My Prediction: Jackson Olin has been fun to watch this season. They have that 2018 season feeling to them. I think the pressure will get to Clay Chalkville and they will fall to the cinderella of Jackson Olin. Clay Chalkville falls under the pressure while Jackson Olin continues their run. Jackson Olin wins 39-35.

5A: UMS Wright vs Faith Academy
These two teams honestly are the most confusing teams in the state. Everytime I think I know what the team will be like, they find a way to surprise me. UMS got shut out in the first game of the season to Baker. I thought UMS would have a subpar season and most likely return to 4A next season and return to their winning ways. Faith fell to Andalusia, who I thought highly of, So I was fine with that. Then they lost to St. Pauls and I do not understand St. Pauls either this season. All teams from that region are confusing and truly bizarre, and I love it. You truly never know what to expect from this region. However we have two rivals facing off for a chance at the region title. UMS has really bounced back from the opening week loss, and looks to be back to title contenders. Faith still has everything in front of them, They can win out and win the region title if things fall their way. Overall I have no idea what to expect, all I know is that the game will be very good between two very good coaches. My Prediction: This region continues to surprise me, however UMS has been good for many years. Faith is on track to be very good, but UMS has that experience. UMS will win and take total control of the region and most likely win the region championship. Faith will see this team again... UMS wins against Faith Academy, 17-6.

4A: Brooks vs West Limestone
Brooks is a team I have kept my eye on this season. They have been silently winning almost all their games decisively so far. West Limestone and Brooks had a great game last season, as West Limestone took the game 29-27 over Brooks. These two teams could very well represent the 4A North as Gordo has stumbled to my surprise. I honestly think this game will show who will be in the state title representing the north. My Prediction: Brooks is very underrated and I think West Limestone is slightly higher ranked than I would like them to. I think Brooks will win this game and will face Handley this December, and Brooks will take home the title. Brooks wins this and continues their title run, 31-19.

3A: Bayside Academy vs Flomaton
I wanted to pick Fyffe vs Plainview, however I have been informed by a fellow forum member that Plainview has dealt with the injury bug. That is terrible as I truly believed that Plainview could've made this game very close and could've ended Fyffe's winning streak. However we move onto Bayside Academy vs Flomaton. Flomaton has been one of the most consistent winning teams in the 3A south. However no matter how hard they have tried, Bayside Academy has been a thorn in their side. Even when Flomaton won the 3A title, Bayside beat them that season. Last season was Flomaton's first win over Bayside since 2007. These two teams are really good in a really good region in 3A. I think Flomaton needs to win this to prove they are capable of making a title run once again. Bayside is playing with house money, and they have a great coach. Bayside has been the equalizer to Flomaton, it will be interesting to see if Bayside can knock off Flomaton once again. My Prediction: This game will be closer than people think, it will be so close it will come down to home field advantage, Flomaton is the home team. Give me Flomaton to win a close game, 26-25.

2A: Mars Hill vs Colbert County
I am really interested in this game for a variety of reasons. I did not pick Mars Hill vs Cullman last week because I thought Cullman would handle Mars Hill. I was right, and that game does not matter as it was a 6A team vs a 2A team. This game matters a lot though. It will really show if Mars Hill is still the team to beat in 2A, or if that title has changed to a team like for say Clarke County, Ariton, ETC. This is Mars Hill's chance to prove they are still the best team in 2A, or Colbert County can make their claim as one of the best teams in 2A. Overall I am very interested in this game to see who is the best in 2A, because right now it is wide open. My Prediction: Mars Hill has lost 2 games this season, both to 6A teams. Colbert is a good team who lost to one of the best 4A teams this season. I think Mars Hill will bounce back and get a victory. Mars Hill wins 42-28.

1A: Keith vs Central Hayneville
So I could had picked a lot of games to choose from, but this one I have had circled for a while. Central Hayneville's football program has not been the best in the past. However the past is the past, and right now they are 3-0 and have yet to give up a singular point. Keith, is out to one of their best starts in program history as well. They loss last week, but that is okay because it was to a 3A team that is pretty good. Central Hayneville made the playoffs last season for the first time since 1999. This region last year was bizarre as if you play, you made it to the playoffs as they only had 4 teams playing in the region. Keith is looking to secure their first region championship since 1997. If Central wins, they could continue their quest for their first region championship ever. Overall this game should have more buzz about it, as it will most likely decide the region champion. My Prediction: It is so hard to pick a winner here. Both teams are really good and have surpassed what people might had thought they would finish. However I love the Central Hayneville story, I have been looking at this team improve for years under their coach, he has done a great job. But Keith is just a little bit better this season. Give me Keith in a heartbreaker, but Central will still continue a great season. Keith wins and secures their region championship for the first time since 1997. Keith wins 30-29.

And that is all for this week! Tell me what you think and what other games you are interested in, I look forward to next week! Have a good one.

Edited by - Sloth Nationzz on 09/30/2021 16:12:07

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  15:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoals Area Games to Watch (we will have some overlap this week)

4A
Brooks vs West Limestone

West Limestone won the region last year, with their closest game being against Brooks in a 29-27 classic. One thing people overlook though is this was the first game Murks actually played QB for Brooks. I firmly believe had he been starting before this game it could have been a different outcome. West Limestone has some good backs and a big line (#27 will be the shiftiest back Brooks has played this year.) West Limestone will likely try a Priceville approach; run the ball effectively, eat clock and keep Brooks offense off the field. It they can accomplish this, then it could be a tough game. I expect Brooks to try to go vertical early, like they did against Priceville, to get the game going in their favor. This all depends on how West Limestone can weather the storm. I think just too much Brooks in this one. And another thing people overlook is with all the hype behind Brooks offense, is how strong their D has been this year. A handful of scores given up were on the second team.

Prediction: Brooks 38 West Limestone 10

2A
Mars Hill vs Colbert County

Can anyone in this region challenge Mars Hill? I certainly thought Hatton would have put up a better fight. Mars Hill may not be what they were last year, but they still are a powerful threat in 2A with explosive players who can break a play quickly. Colbert County has been solid, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I keep saying it and I will say it again, if Colbert County will use that huge offensive line and run between the tackles they'll be difficult for anyone to defeat. Mars Hill's magic may be waning, but it isn't gone just yet.

Prediction: Mars Hill 35 Colbert County 20

2A
Hatton vs Lexington

This could go a long way toward playoff positioning. Lexington surprised Hatton last year with a 13 to 12 upset. Both teams are solid, and both teams feature big lines with solid ground games. I have went back and forth on this game and honestly, I may change my pick before the game starts. Hatton needs this game more or they will have their 3rd region loss already, so there may be a bit of desperation. Coach Lard and the Bears have the Lexington community excited as they look for their first playoff berth since 2016.

Prediction: Lexington 21 Hatton 14

Edited by - TheMUBM on 09/30/2021 15:28:40
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  15:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7A: Hoover vs Hewitt-Trussville
Since you went with the Auburn-Central game, I'll go with the other big game in 7A. This is Hoover's final tune-up game against a quality opponent before they square off with Thompson. We'll see how they stack up this week.
Picks: Hoover wins 38-21; Auburn wins 35-31

6A: Spanish Fort vs Saraland
I've been of the assumption all year that Saraland would be the toughest game for Spanish Fort in Region 1, and it looks like that's exactly how it will play out.
Picks: Spanish Fort wins 35-24; Clay-Chalkville wins 35-26

5A: Leeds at Center Point
It was tough to pick between this one and the Russellville-Ardmore game, but I'll go with this one because I have a better idea about how good these teams are. Leeds is undefeated, but their schedule thus far has been...lackluster to say the least. Center Point struggled early in the year but has looked really impressive the last 3 weeks. The winner of this one probably ends up 2nd in the region and gets a home game in the 1st round.
Picks: Center Point wins 34-17; UMS-Wright wins 17-7

4A: Randolph vs Madison Academy
This is it for Randolph. If they can pull this upset off then they'll be almost guaranteed to win their first region title and 10-0 would be a very real possibility.
Picks: Madison Academy wins 37-24; Brooks wins 35-17

3A: Piedmont at Ohatchee
Several interesting storyline here. Ohatchee handed Piedmont their only region loss a year ago. Unfortunately for the Indians, they will be without head coach Scott Martin as he is on administrative leave pending an investigation. But Piedmont has had head coaching issues of their own, as their coach Steve Smith has been battling pneumonia all week, but he has said he plans on coaching in this game. I'd take Piedmont anyway, but the absence of Martin from the sideline really makes this one of uphill battle for the Indians.
Picks: Piedmont wins 41-14; Flomaton wins 22-14

2A: Cleveland vs Southeastern
What an odd set of circumstances there are surrounding this one. The winner was expected to take sole possession of first in this region, but then last week Southeastern had to forfeit their earlier region victory over Gaston. Now it's being rumored that Cleveland might have to forfeit their upset victory over Spring Garden from a few weeks ago. If that turns out to be true, then this matchup goes from likely determining the region champion to determining who gets the 2 seed and a home game in the 1st round.
Picks: Cleveland wins 41-28; Mars Hill wins 47-14

1A: Keith at Central Hayneville
I still don't know what to make of Keith, mostly because I don't know what to make of Linden. I mean, the defending champs went from losing a tight one to Pickens County to getting demolished by Keith. It makes me wonder if the Patriots didn't have a key player go down in that opener or early against Keith, but that's kind of off topic. Outside of the Linden game, it's hard to put much stock into either of these teams' schedules so far. With that said, Keith seems to have controlled their games against better teams more emphatically than Hayneville.
Pick: Keith wins 26-14
Go to Top of Page

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

265 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  15:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree about Randolph. If they win this then they are in sole possession to go 10-0. I also agree about Linden, as it all comes down to how good are they to know how good the other teams are. Also the Cleveland story lines are very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2021 :  19:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloth Nationzz

4A: Brooks vs West Limestone
Brooks is a team I have kept my eye on this season. They have been silently winning almost all their games decisively so far. West Limestone and Brooks had a great game last season, as West Limestone took the game 29-27 over Brooks. These two teams could very well represent the 4A North as Gordo has stumbled to my surprise. I honestly think this game will show who will be in the state title representing the north. My Prediction: Brooks is very underrated and I think West Limestone is slightly higher ranked than I would like them to. I think Brooks will win this game and will face Handley this December, and Brooks will take home the title. Brooks wins this and continues their title run, 31-19.

From your keyboard to Gods ears my friend!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07