Games to Watch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sloth Nationzz
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

265 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2021 :  13:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Afternoon! Sorry I had taken the past 2 weeks off due to just being busy. However we are back! We're starting to get into region play, which we all know is the first step to winning a state title is, winning the region. Now lets get onto the games.

Games To Watch
7A: Thompson Vs Hewitt-Trussville
We start of with the best game in the state between two of the top programs in the state. Thompson has looked unstoppable, crushing every opponent they have played. You could say the same for Hewitt. This is the classic case of an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object. This game is loaded with college talent and some talent that could play on Sundays. My Prediction: Thompson has too much talent, I do not think they will lose a game this season. Hewitt will meet them in November most likely. However I am picking the Warriors here. Warriors win 35-17.

6A: Lee Montgomery vs Russell County
You may be wondering right now, "Why?" or "When was the last time Russell County was good?". allow me to explain. This game will not be the prettiest game by all means. However this game personally interest me for a good reason. Russell County is 4-0 for the first time since 1998. Granted two wins were by forfeit but one of those was against the Barbour County Jaguars. The other you could argue they should had won and the forfeit is the right way. I thought Lee was a top ten team but fell to Sidney Lanier last week in an upset. After last weeks lost I have my questions about Lee, and if they are a playoff team. The question I am asking is, "Is Russell County legit?" Or have they gotten lucky. I am fascinated to see this game, as I always love a program who may not be the best start to come together and turn heads. My Prediction: The cinderella story continues for the Russell County Warriors, as they begin a quest to make the playoffs. Russell County shocks the world, winning 20-18.

5A: Alexandria vs Corner
Picking a 5A game was not easy. If anyone has a good 5A matchup please comment it. Alexandria has started off red hot after I thought they would regress after last season. Corner has begun 2-1 and could make their statement for winning the region if they win this game. Alexandria vs Corner, I could see this game going to OT. Corner has a very good defense and could make some plays to turn the tide. My Prediction: Alexandria will go into Corner and win and start to begin their statement as 5A title contenders. Corner will make the playoffs, most likely as the 2nd seed. Alexandria wins 31-16.

4A: American Christian vs Bibb County
Ah yes this game. When I wrote Games To Watch last season this was the reason why I wanted to do these articles. Because of this game. Well last season I picked Bibb County to win 4A. I picked them to lose this game though, and they got crushed. I mean they got obliterated which showed how good American Christian was. After they played American Christian they were never the same team. But, this is a new year and new faces. I do not know how good American Christian is after losing a lot of star power. But their QB is very good and could see him playing on Saturdays. Bibb is out for revenge after the loss that derailed their season. Bibb has a lot of returning starters, American Christian does not. This game will come down to experience. My Prediction: The winner of this game wins the region. I believe in Bibb's veterans to make the plays that the young American Christian players can't. Bibb County gets their revenge, 35-21.

3A: Bayside Academy vs TR Miller
It's funny I just went back and last year I literally wrote this same game and the same 4A game and the same 7A as the game to watch. I also will have the same 1A game from last year on this very day. Funny how history repeats itself. I played Bayside for 4 years, we spilt the series 2-2. They were always the best coached team we played, Their coach is one of the best in the state in my opinion. TR Miller's coach is also a known winner. He has turned TR Miller back into the winning program we know, All he needs is to win it all. TR Miller vs Bayside, whoever wins this could win the region, but I believe Flomaton's got that region locked up. My Prediction Bayside's got a very good team this year, one that could upset a few teams. TR Miller I think needs one more year before they can fully contend. I have Bayside winning a nail bitter, 23-21.

2A: Ariton vs G.W. Long
If you would've told me this would be a top ten matchup in June, I would've called you crazy. I think Ariton is good, like really good. G.W. Long is also really good and I think both teams could make a deep run in the playoffs. I believe this game will be fun to watch, easily the best game in 2A this week. My Prediction: I think Ariton will be the surprise team in December playing Mars Hill for the 2A title. G.W. Long will fall to Ariton, 36-28.

1A: Lochapoka vs Maplesville
History repeats itself, as once again I am talking about this matchup one year to the day later. Lochapoka has been silently sneaking up the polls as one of the best 1A schools in the state. Maplesville is established and could make a deep playoff run. I think this game will decide that region. My Prediction: I think Lockapoka makes a statement and puts the 1A class on notice and takes down one of the top dogs. Lochapoka wins and upsets Maplesville, 20-12.

And that is it for this week! I enjoy writing these they are a lot of fun. Let me know what games you will be watching and feel free to add along! See y'all next Thursday!

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2021 :  20:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will do my Shoals area games to watch.

6A
Muscle Shoals vs Athens

Two teams I can't really get a read on. Everytime I think Muscle Shoals is going to struggle they do much better than I think. When I think they will blow someone out, they struggle (except Columbia). Athens is the same. I thought they'd play with James Clemens but got blown out, thought they'd struggle with Hazel Green and they blew them out. I think both teams have a lot of talent. No common opponents thus far but I have some contacts with Florence and they played Athens in preseason and said Athens wasn't that great, but preseason teams don't show much and Gross is a very good coach. I have went back and forth on this one.

Prediction: Muscle Shoals 31 Athens 17

4A
Brooks vs. Deshler

It may seem I am picking this game just because I am a Brooks fan but this is also our local high school sports radio stations game of the week. When one team is 4-0 and the other is 0-4 that may not make sense. But we have to have context. Deshler lost big to 6A Muscle Shoals and lost by 8 to 5A Russellville. THen lost two region games to West Limestone and West Morgan by a combined 11 points. Deshler has been banged up but always has athletes and hold a decisive advantage in head to head vs. Brooks. Deshler won this game last year 26 to 7, but that was before Murks became the QB. Deshler is a scary team and knows their season may hang on this game. I expect a tough physical game but too much Brooks in the end.

Prediction: Brooks 42 Deshler 20

2A
Lexington vs Sheffield

Last week I thought Sheffield would put up more of a fight against Colbert County but it didn't happen. Lexington is kind of like the cicadas, once every so many years they come out of nowhere and have a really good year and make a deep playoff run. This may be that year. Last week I said if I was Sheffield I would find everyway to get the ball in Devin Doss hands. From the coaches show I heard with Harold Wisdom, it appears he was ejected from the CCHS game and will not play this week. I am not sure if that is an AHSAA rule or coaches decision, but that will really hurt Sheffield. Lexington abides by the old "3 yards and a cloud of dust rule" and that can really frustrate opponents but I think we have seen with Wisdom as coach, Sheffield is much more discliplined than in the past. If they can keep their heads about them, this could be the game of the night in the Shoals.

Prediction: Lexington 26 Sheffield 15

Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2021 :  10:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1A
Wadley at Winterboro--I'm not sold on Loachapoka yet as a contender, so I'll go with a game I know will have big implications. In Region 5, the region title is likely up for grabs in this one. Wadley looks back their old selves after a down year.
Pick: Wadley wins 34-19

2A
G. W. Long at Ariton--This is the biggest of the three huge games in Region 2 this week. Ariton is probably a little overhyped this week, as Geneva County was missing 12 players for their game last week.
Pick: G. W. Long wins 37-29

3A
Saks at Ohatchee--Since the T.R. Miller-Bayside game has already been covered, I'll go with the other really big game in 3A this week. A home playoff game is one the line in this one as Ohatchee looks to cement their place as the biggest threat to Piedmont in the region. They beat Piedmont last year and were expected to be even better this year, but the 2-0 start raised some eyebrows. Turns out they just lost to two really good teams in a larger class.
Pick: Ohatchee wins 26-14

4A
Cleburne County at Handley--Well, we'll get to find out what Cleburne County is made of this week. The Tigers have been the biggest surprise of my entire area, but my guess is it's probably not nearly enough to compete with Handley.
Pick: Handley wins 48-24

5A
Faith Academy at St. Paul's--St. Paul's has three losses already, which is almost unthinkable, but they were all to really good teams. This is the game Faith Academy has had circled on their schedule all year.
Pick: Faith Academy wins 21-13

6A
Helena at Pelham--There are several important games in 6A this week, but there aren't really and huge games. A region title is on the line in this one, so it gets the nod.
Pick: Helena wins 27-17

7A
Hewitt-Trussville at Thompson--Thompson is too good. There is only one team that will have a shot to beat them this year, and they won't play them in the regular season...Auburn.
Pick: Thompson wins 49-20
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2021 :  10:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sloth Nationzz

Good Afternoon! Sorry I had taken the past 2 weeks off due to just being busy. However we are back! We're starting to get into region play, which we all know is the first step to winning a state title is, winning the region. Now lets get onto the games.

Games To Watch
7A: Thompson Vs Hewitt-Trussville
We start of with the best game in the state between two of the top programs in the state. Thompson has looked unstoppable, crushing every opponent they have played. You could say the same for Hewitt. This is the classic case of an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object. This game is loaded with college talent and some talent that could play on Sundays. My Prediction: Thompson has too much talent, I do not think they will lose a game this season. Hewitt will meet them in November most likely. However I am picking the Warriors here. Warriors win 35-17.

6A: Lee Montgomery vs Russell County
You may be wondering right now, "Why?" or "When was the last time Russell County was good?". allow me to explain. This game will not be the prettiest game by all means. However this game personally interest me for a good reason. Russell County is 4-0 for the first time since 1998. Granted two wins were by forfeit but one of those was against the Barbour County Jaguars. The other you could argue they should had won and the forfeit is the right way. I thought Lee was a top ten team but fell to Sidney Lanier last week in an upset. After last weeks lost I have my questions about Lee, and if they are a playoff team. The question I am asking is, "Is Russell County legit?" Or have they gotten lucky. I am fascinated to see this game, as I always love a program who may not be the best start to come together and turn heads. My Prediction: The cinderella story continues for the Russell County Warriors, as they begin a quest to make the playoffs. Russell County shocks the world, winning 20-18.

5A: Alexandria vs Corner
Picking a 5A game was not easy. If anyone has a good 5A matchup please comment it. Alexandria has started off red hot after I thought they would regress after last season. Corner has begun 2-1 and could make their statement for winning the region if they win this game. Alexandria vs Corner, I could see this game going to OT. Corner has a very good defense and could make some plays to turn the tide. My Prediction: Alexandria will go into Corner and win and start to begin their statement as 5A title contenders. Corner will make the playoffs, most likely as the 2nd seed. Alexandria wins 31-16.

4A: American Christian vs Bibb County
Ah yes this game. When I wrote Games To Watch last season this was the reason why I wanted to do these articles. Because of this game. Well last season I picked Bibb County to win 4A. I picked them to lose this game though, and they got crushed. I mean they got obliterated which showed how good American Christian was. After they played American Christian they were never the same team. But, this is a new year and new faces. I do not know how good American Christian is after losing a lot of star power. But their QB is very good and could see him playing on Saturdays. Bibb is out for revenge after the loss that derailed their season. Bibb has a lot of returning starters, American Christian does not. This game will come down to experience. My Prediction: The winner of this game wins the region. I believe in Bibb's veterans to make the plays that the young American Christian players can't. Bibb County gets their revenge, 35-21.

3A: Bayside Academy vs TR Miller
It's funny I just went back and last year I literally wrote this same game and the same 4A game and the same 7A as the game to watch. I also will have the same 1A game from last year on this very day. Funny how history repeats itself. I played Bayside for 4 years, we spilt the series 2-2. They were always the best coached team we played, Their coach is one of the best in the state in my opinion. TR Miller's coach is also a known winner. He has turned TR Miller back into the winning program we know, All he needs is to win it all. TR Miller vs Bayside, whoever wins this could win the region, but I believe Flomaton's got that region locked up. My Prediction Bayside's got a very good team this year, one that could upset a few teams. TR Miller I think needs one more year before they can fully contend. I have Bayside winning a nail bitter, 23-21.

2A: Ariton vs G.W. Long
If you would've told me this would be a top ten matchup in June, I would've called you crazy. I think Ariton is good, like really good. G.W. Long is also really good and I think both teams could make a deep run in the playoffs. I believe this game will be fun to watch, easily the best game in 2A this week. My Prediction: I think Ariton will be the surprise team in December playing Mars Hill for the 2A title. G.W. Long will fall to Ariton, 36-28.

1A: Lochapoka vs Maplesville
History repeats itself, as once again I am talking about this matchup one year to the day later. Lochapoka has been silently sneaking up the polls as one of the best 1A schools in the state. Maplesville is established and could make a deep playoff run. I think this game will decide that region. My Prediction: I think Lockapoka makes a statement and puts the 1A class on notice and takes down one of the top dogs. Lochapoka wins and upsets Maplesville, 20-12.

And that is it for this week! I enjoy writing these they are a lot of fun. Let me know what games you will be watching and feel free to add along! See y'all next Thursday!

Corner is in my team's region, and just based on what I know about every team in the region, Corner has played the two worst teams in it. Overall, it's a pretty weak region anyway. Alexandria is probably the only team with much of a chance to win more than 1 playoff game, and I'd be pretty surprised if Corner even makes the playoffs. That game will probably be over by halftime.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07