Mars Hill
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  21:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have watched the Mars Hill Cullman game all night. Cullman is a very solid 6A team. Mars Hill lost a heartbreaker to 6A Jasper earlier this year 30 to 21 and then beat a good 5A team East Limestone 21 to 0. Mars Hill has dominated this game. Really not even close. Cullman still may make some amazing plays and comeback and win, but I can't imagine there is a better team in 2A than Mars Hill.

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  21:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Final 21 to 6 Mars Hill. At the 5 going in for another score, takes a knee. Should have been a lot worse. Mars Hill squandered opportunities.
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  21:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That?s because the private school multiplier still caters to the private schools. Private schools should start higher in classification and move down until they find their competitive balance. Mars Hill should easily be playing another classification or two higher.

Randolph County Tigers

2003 Class 2A State Champions

2017 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2020 :  22:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't disagree, but they are only 2A because of the multiplier and competition clause. Where should they be and with what measure?
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  17:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched them play in the state title the past two years in Auburn, and I don't disagree either, but if the win the championship the next two years in 2A, then the competitive balance rule will move them up to 3A, which is where I think they should probably be. I think they'd be fairly even with Fyffe and Piedmont, having seen both those teams in Auburn the past two years as well.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  06:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The private schools should be in their own division or at a minimum 4A. Very few public schools at the smaller classes are like Fyffye and Piedmont. Pretty much only Fyffe and Piedmont are like themselves. Most of these small county funded schools are playing at least half their starters both ways if not starting both ways. I have a kid who played at East Limestone and they are a very solid 5A team this year. We moved so my younger son plays at a smaller school in 2A. No way can we or anyone in our region compete with Mars Hill. It's pretty obvious that they should be competing in a larger classification. These private schools that recruit are kind of like having a travel ball team playing in a rec league.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  14:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am all for there being a private classification. I have always thought that is how it should be. They play within different rules, but for every Mars Hill, there is also a Shoals Christian. I couldn't imagine a team like that in 4A. Their games would be over midway through first quarter.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  06:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

I am all for there being a private classification. I have always thought that is how it should be. They play within different rules, but for every Mars Hill, there is also a Shoals Christian. I couldn't imagine a team like that in 4A. Their games would be over midway through first quarter.

That's part of the problem too. I am assuming Shoals Christian doesn't recruit. What do you do with those schools? I would say let them play in their own division too. You could have a private school conference with A and B classes where A recruits and B does not. When it comes time for playoffs A plays A and B plays B. Let them all be able to play public schools in non region games that way they can get a full 10 game schedule.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

202 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  10:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if McGill-Toolin says hey we don't recruit. They would be competing in the same class as Ellwood Chritiian, Victory Chritian, etc. Yes, that seem very fair.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  12:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spartan91

So if McGill-Toolin says hey we don't recruit. They would be competing in the same class as Ellwood Chritiian, Victory Chritian, etc. Yes, that seem very fair.

Like I said above you could create two divisions within the private school conference. For example division A could be for those who recruit and B for those who don't. By the way, it's not fair for 2A K-12 school with 18-25 kids on the roster to have to play Mars Hill than the example you gave.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  16:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was about to bring up the point that it's also not fair to smaller private schools. Victory Christian is very close to where I live, and I know they don't recruit athletes. So while there is always the option for private schools to recruit, most of them don't because they either don't want to or don't have the funds to do so. Maybe if there was a separate division for private schools, they could be divided into classes based on both size and the amount of money they spend on promoting their athletics department and recruiting.
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  17:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

The private schools should be in their own division or at a minimum 4A. Very few public schools at the smaller classes are like Fyffye and Piedmont. Pretty much only Fyffe and Piedmont are like themselves. Most of these small county funded schools are playing at least half their starters both ways if not starting both ways. I have a kid who played at East Limestone and they are a very solid 5A team this year. We moved so my younger son plays at a smaller school in 2A. No way can we or anyone in our region compete with Mars Hill. It's pretty obvious that they should be competing in a larger classification. These private schools that recruit are kind of like having a travel ball team playing in a rec league.

Go Eagles!

You're not wrong, but the current system now that they've added an additional competitive balance clause, seems to be working pretty well overall. The main reason it's benefitting Mars Hill so much is they're still a fairly new program and haven't had as long to grow in size and build a reputation. It's not just an issue in the lower classes, either. My alma mater, Lincoln, has spent the entire past decade in either 4A or 5A, and for most of the past decade and a half those classes were ruled by UMS-Wright and St. Paul's. It's just not a problem with an easy, or fair, solution for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  06:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kodyaufan2

quote:
Originally posted by BamaJoe

Go Eagles!

You're not wrong, but the current system now that they've added an additional competitive balance clause, seems to be working pretty well overall. The main reason it's benefitting Mars Hill so much is they're still a fairly new program and haven't had as long to grow in size and build a reputation. It's not just an issue in the lower classes, either. My alma mater, Lincoln, has spent the entire past decade in either 4A or 5A, and for most of the past decade and a half those classes were ruled by UMS-Wright and St. Paul's. It's just not a problem with an easy, or fair, solution for everyone.

I agree it is not an easy fix but the folks who are paid to make these types of calls need to get on zoom call or something and work on it. To me it kind of looks like if you are a small public school or a private who does not recruit the powers that be don't really care about them. If they don't recruit I am not against them playing in the appropriate classification for their size. However, I've seen first hand what a private school that can recruit can do to a small underfunded county school way too often. It does nothing to help either group of kids get better.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

202 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2020 :  19:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three years ago the AHSAA made a proposal to the AISA to merge and to have a separate private school division with 3 or 4 classes. Obviously an agreement was not made.

This would the only way you could have a separate, competitive division for private schools.

The question that would come up is would free transfers be allowed from public to private schools as is currently allowed in the AISA? Some of the smaller private schools depend on this to keep competitive programs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07