New AHSAA reclassification numbers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

robinsonakr
AHSFHS Forum Master

113 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  09:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats the word going around about the reclassification info? I am assuming it will be released in January 2018. Any word or insight of any major shakeups of schools moving up or down? Do we think the public/private school debate will play a factor? Just curious! It is always interesting to see the new numbers, regions and classifications!!

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  13:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping/expecting to see the private school multiplier increased. This article gives a good hard thought into it, its a good read.

http://www.therandolphleader.com/sports/article_fec8b800-5c12-11e7-9bb9-4fc5215ee5a6.html

Randolph County Tigers / R.C.H.S.

2003 Class 2A State Champions, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  19:09:57  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last several reclassification cycles, it's been around the third to fourth week in January, when the new one is released. I would also be interested in seeing the current numbers. As to the public/private debate, it tends to get shot down fairly easily when brought up. I think it's more noticeable the smaller the classification is, such as Madison Academy and Sacred Heart.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

Edited by - svmounties on 06/29/2017 19:12:28
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1401 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  08:56:37  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every couple of years the topic of private vs. public schools comes up yet nothing will ever be resolved. If the AHSAA did something the other side would sue. Take it for what it is. A ploy by some elected official to get themselves in the news and for AL.com to create a story where there is none.

There is no solution. Granted a few, and I mean a very few, private schools do well in football and basketball but the numbers do not hold up when looked at for every private school.

Think about this. Maybe Briarwood, UMS-Wright, St. Paul's and Madison Academy just have better coaches. I have no doubt that they do. I remember a few years ago that UMS-Wright had several name coaches on their staff who had won a lot of football games at public schools before retiring from the system.

Madison Academy was 5-12 in the playoffs before Eric Cohu arrived in 2009. UMS-Wright was 17-10 with one title prior to Terry Curtis coming on the scene in 1999. Briarwood was 2-5 before Fred Yancey.

And don't get me started on recruiting. It is a problem for both private and public schools.

Am I defending the private schools? Not at all. I am just making a point that there is no solution so why is it still a topic every year?

One way to help would be to allow the AISA schools to play the AHSAA schools during the season.

It would save the AISA and more schools might go back to the organization if this happened. A lot of schools left the AISA because of traveling so much. If teams like Faith Academy could play other Mobile teams in the AHSAA then possibly they would still be in the AISA.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

bcs1997
AHSFHS Forum Master

115 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2017 :  17:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Briarwood alum I can tell you for a fact that BCS has never recruited under Yancey. In fact, we have had issues with public schools coming in and trying to take our players. This happened in basketball and football just a couple of years ago. The whole "all private schools recruit" really makes me angry. Some private schools recruit and others don't yet they are talking about punishing everyone.

If anything, they need to look at the 7A schools that are getting big time transfers in football and basketball. Especially a certain basketball program in Jefferson County

My point is you can't punish everyone for a small group that cheats. It's not fair for the schools that do it right.

Edited by - bcs1997 on 06/30/2017 17:30:42
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2017 :  09:58:55  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcs1997

If anything, they need to look at the 7A schools that are getting big time transfers in football and basketball. Especially a certain basketball program in Jefferson County

Such as Bucky McMillan, and Watford leaving SV for Mountain Brook. Guarantee that's one.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

201 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  11:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was always told that football/sports taught you about life. Life is not always fair and is about overcoming obstacles to reach success. There will always be some schools both public and private that have advantages over others.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07