General Discussion
 Tie breaking committee???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dparker
Forum Admin

1406 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2021 :  17:47:07  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey I will be looking for some help Friday night and Saturday from some of you guys who have some free time.

I have started filling in the playoff brackets for this year and will post what I have on Saturday morning. As always there will be a few tie breakers which will need to be resolved to complete the brackets. Some may not be resolvable this weekend and we will need the last week to work them out.

That is where you can assist me. I stay pretty busy Friday night entering scores and most of Saturday making any corrections, writing the Tidbits article, etc.

I hope some of you will help me with the tie breaking situations. I can post them Saturday morning and let someone with more time than me figure out the overly complicated tie breakers.

Thanks in advance.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2021 :  18:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This site doesn't go too in-depth, but for the basic ties and most 3-way ties, they'll lay out who gets in if this team wins or if that team wins.

http://alpreps.com/
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2021 :  20:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to post scenarios for 4a region 8 but it?s a ton. Five teams could be tied for 3rd this weekend. I will try to post updates though to help
Go to Top of Page

kodyaufan2
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

254 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2021 :  10:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

I was going to post scenarios for 4a region 8 but it?s a ton. Five teams could be tied for 3rd this weekend. I will try to post updates though to help

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but according to alpreps.com, Rogers and Deshler won't win any of the tiebreaker scenarios, so it's pretty down to between West Morgan, Central-Florence, and West Limestone for the last two spots.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2021 :  15:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kodyaufan2

quote:
Originally posted by TheMUBM

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but according to alpreps.com, Rogers and Deshler won't win any of the tiebreaker scenarios, so it's pretty down to between West Morgan, Central-Florence, and West Limestone for the last two spots.

Maybe so, I know one guy from Rogers told me that there was a way for them to get in, but again I haven't taken the time to look into it.
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2021 :  17:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I finally decided to look into this

Worst case scenario,

Rogers upsets West Morgan and Deshler upsets Central Florence and Priceville beats West Limestone. This would generate a 5 way tie for 3rd in 4A region 8 with WL, WM, Rogers, CF and Deshler all being 3-4 in region.

According to tie breakers, you couldn't use the first one because none of the teams in the tie breaker had beaten all the other teams in said tie.

Tie breaker c & d couldn't be used because in this scenario all teams have both lost to Brooks (1) and Priceville (2).

Then we go all the way to J because with the other teams being tied, it goes to winning percentage against the last place team. In this scenario, all have beaten Wilson, so again not applicable.

K wouldn't be applicable because the 5 teams do not all share 1 common non-region opponents.

Now we go to L which is The team whose defeated non-region opponents (in class, above class, and within two classes
below) have the most victories if all teams involved in the tie play an equal number of games.
If two teams tie for the highest winning percentage ahead of all the other teams involved
in the tie, the team that defeated the other in their required regular season game will be placed
ahead of all tied teams. Then, if necessary, apply (a) or (b) as applicable for the remaining teams in the tie.

As it stands right now:
Central has 9, I believe it will end up at 11.
West Limestone has 12 and I think it'll up at 13
Deshler has 0, I believe it will end at 0. Could be as much as 5 if they upset Colbert county next week
Rogers is at 5, and I think it will stay there, but an upset over Lexington next week could get them up to 12.
West Morgan is at 9 and I believe they'll wind up with 11.

So in this scenario, if it plays out like that, West Limestone would then grab the seed and we'd revert back to Tie Breaker C, the best winning percentage against 3rd seeded team. In this scenario both Rogers and Central would've beaten West Limestone, then it would go head to head between them and if in this scenario Rogers has lost to Central making Central 4th.

So the way I understand it, if this is a 5 way tie the final rankings would likely be:

Brooks
Priceville
West Limestone
Central Florence

Keep in mind, in this scenario, should Rogers upset Lexington and West Limestone ends at 12, then they'd be tied for tie breaker L with West Limestone and they'd have the head to head over West Limestone, which would then put them 3rd then 4th would either be West or would be determined by starting over at (a) and I haven't even looked at that yet. The wording on the tie breaker isn't very clear.

Edited by - TheMUBM on 10/21/2021 17:46:32
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2021 :  17:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further, if I understand that you then start back over at (A), we'd once again find ourselves at the winning percentage against the 3rd place team. In the previous scenario that would be Rogers, and the only teams still tied that would've beaten them are Deshler and Central. And in that upset scenario, Deshler would have head to head over Central so Deshler would gain the 4th spot.

My head is about to explode.

Edited by - TheMUBM on 10/21/2021 17:57:10
Go to Top of Page

TheMUBM
AHSFHS Moderator

624 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2021 :  18:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW David,

If you want me too, I will look into any 2a through 4A you have when I have time Saturday.
Go to Top of Page

WinstonCountyGrad
AHSFHS Moderator

139 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2021 :  12:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have some time this evening if you need additional help.

Proud native of the "Free State of Winston"
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1406 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2021 :  12:15:58  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I will post the tie breakers that will take some time to figure out either late tonight or first thing in the morning. Some I can do easily but some will be complicated.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

BamaJoe
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

275 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2021 :  12:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2A region 7 is pretty simple already

Pisgah v Tanner winner is region champ, loser is 2nd
Ider is 3rd

Falkville v NSM winner is 4th and loser is out.

Whitesburg Christian and Section are elimintated.

Go Eagles!
Go to Top of Page

jtoddo
New Forum Member

19 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2021 :  10:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2a region 5.

Midfield, Aliceville, Lamar County
and Sulligent

j t walker
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07