Walter M. Jackson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

almadenmike
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  10:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so delighted to have found this website! I learned that my grandfather, Walter Mahan Jackson, Sr., who was an influential superintendent of the Selma (pre-WWII) and Decatur (post-WWII) schools, was also a football coach.

He is the Walter Jackson you have listed as coach of Dinkins Military (1920-22) and the Walter M. Jackson that you have listed as coaching Selma (1924) and Camden (1926).

But I find it hard to believe that in 1926 he would also have been coach of the Montgomery County (aka Ramer) team. That must have been another Walter M. Jackson ... or an error. What is the evidence for a Walter M. Jackson coaching at Ramer in 1926?

Is there a repository for evidence of a particular coach's time at a school. (If so, I could contribute some newspaper articles that mention my grandfather's coaching in Selma and Camden.)

almadenmike
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2020 :  19:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found a newspaper article that says that "Bozo" Self was the football coach for Ramer (aka Montgomery County) in 1926.

In the Oct. 8, 1926, issue of the Montgomery Advertiser, on page 7 (https://www.newspapers.com/image/413618481) is an article about that day's upcoming game between Cloverdale and Ramer. It includes the following:

"Coach "Bozo" Self's combination from Ramer will be ready to put up a game scrap against the Crimsons this afternoon."

and

"Like Coach McFaden (sic), this is Self's first year in the coaching game. He played tackle with the local mentor last year at Auburn."

How should I request that Ramer/Montgomery County's 1926 record be moved to (Geddes) "Bozo" Self's coaching entry, and removed from Walter M. Jackson's?

Also, Walter Jackson's record at Dinkins Military should be consolidated with that of Walter M. Jackson's (from Selma and Camden), and please consider using his full name: Walter Mahan Jackson, Sr.

I can send a copy of the clipping to anyone who would like to see or file it away as proof.

Edited by - almadenmike on 02/16/2020 19:22:53
Go to Top of Page

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2020 :  07:01:25  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem. I have made the change for Ramer so Walter M. Jackson is no longer the coach for that season. I also changed all the names so they appear as the same person. Thanks for sharing this with us. It is very difficult to be 100% correct with information coming from so many different places.

This helps us get things a little more accurate.

Thanks

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

almadenmike
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2020 :  21:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dparker

No problem. I have made the change for Ramer so Walter M. Jackson is no longer the coach for that season. I also changed all the names so they appear as the same person. Thanks for sharing this with us. It is very difficult to be 100% correct with information coming from so many different places.

This helps us get things a little more accurate.

Thanks

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org

Thanks so much, David. That's perfect!!

I'm so glad I found this website/database. You're doing fabulous work in documenting Alabama's high school football teams, records and coaches.

BTW, I've found a newspaper article that said my grandfather was Selma's coach for 3 years (not 1). When I can flesh it out and prove the details with certainty, I'll let you know.

Michael Ross

Edited by - almadenmike on 02/18/2020 21:28:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07