New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  16:46:32  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
https://twitter.com/SumterCentral/status/1158052170111049739?s=19

Sumter Central new girls basketball coach is Tinnie Hall.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2019 :  07:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By Al Muskewitz
East Alabama Sports Toda
y

GLENCOE ? Daniel Cook guided the Glencoe girls basketball team to the Northeast Regional finals each of the last two seasons and had high expectations for the season ahead, but abruptly resigned his position Tuesday night rather than face an environment that made it uncomfortable to continue in the program.

No successor or interim coach has been named.

Cook coached the Lady Jackets to a 68-47 record in his four-year tenure. They were 59-31 over the last three seasons, which included two appearances in the Northeast Regional finals. They were 21-7 and 21-10 each of the last two seasons.

He was going have 11 players returning from the team that lost to Pisgah in the regional finals and already had the boys and girls field set for the Glencoe Holiday Shootout.

?We?ve got a lot of expectations for the season, but right now it?s just an environment, an atmosphere, I really don?t need to be around,? he told East Alabama Sports Today. ?So I?m just kind of stepping away and just focusing on my 8 to 3 job.?

Cook remains at the high school as a history teacher and as a junior high football coach and head girls soccer coach.

?I put my heart and soul in the program and I?m really proud of the success we?ve had the last few years,? he said. ?But at the end of the day there?s some things that are more important than winning a basketball game.

?Coaching is just getting to be a tougher and tougher profession. Sometimes it?s just best to walk away before it gets any tougher.?

Glencoe principal Charlton Giles, whose daughter plays on the basketball team, deferred comment to a later date.

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page

tidefan102
AHSFHS Moderator

792 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  08:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From The Gadsden Times

Glencoe didn?t have to go far to find its new coach for the varsity girls basketball team.
Jamie Barkley was approved as the Yellow Jackets? interim girls basketball coach at the Etowah County Board of Education meeting last week.
Barkley was a varsity assistant and junior varsity head coach for the Glencoe girls basketball program the past two seasons. She is also the head volleyball coach. She takes the place of Glencoe alum Daniel Cook, who resigned Sept. 10.
?It?s humbling and exciting,? Barkley said. ?They are fun to be around. They are fun to coach. ... I?ve had the luxury of doing workouts with them this year since August. They enjoy working out and getting stronger. Kids who are hungry to do those things are enjoyable to be around all the time.?
Barkley spent two seasons as the Westbrook Christian girls basketball coach from 2014-16. The Warriors made it to the Northeast Regional semifinals in 2016.
?She has varsity head coaching experience,? Glencoe principal Charleton Giles said. ? ... She?s very familiar with all the kids in the program. It should be an easy transition.?

Mike Naugher
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07