Volleyball beef
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1261 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  20:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unusual conspiracy floating around Brindlee Mountain after the area finals between Brewer and Arab. Brewer is accusing Arab of throwing the finals to set themselves up for the Supers. I know its not for anything on the site, but its still interesting to talk about. I've heard fans talk about this I've espoused resting player myself in football to create a better matchup while resting players. But to hear a rival coach accuse another program is new to me. I may be missing some other instances, but it seems like a big deal getting traction.

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/10/did-an-alabama-hs-volleyball-team-lose-championship-on-purpose.html

spartan91
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

201 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  21:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One solution to this would be to seed the teams in the regional by some sort of power rating system. Since the regional is a a central site this would not cause any unfair travel for any team.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  04:29:17  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems that could be the case. Not saying they did, but it certainly makes it interesting. If they saw an easier road to the finals, as in not having to meet Jasper till the state final tournament, as opposed to having to meet in the second round of the supers -and it might be a backhanded thing to do - but I can surely see why they might do it. Also makes it interesting seeing the connection between them and Jasper, as it surely could have been discussion between father and daughter on how to extend the season longer, and make their probable meeting as far away as they can.

Sort of reminds me of back several years ago when the tiebreakers in football were a tad different than they are now. Sometimes a team would have fared better by losing a non-region game, as opposed to winning it, even being left out of the playoffs had they won.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1261 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2018 :  13:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see nothing wrong with it whether they did it or not. If your team has already advanced its up to the coach who they play or rest. If Brewer was worried about this the match should have become a glorified JV game. Its not like Brewer is some upstart lucking their way to the finals they were in the state finals last year in 6A and had split with Arab in the regular season. This is a potential problem with the Volleyball postseason itself. The Regional finals is just for seeding at the state finals among 8 teams. So there is potential for setting up opponents baked into the process.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07