Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 Different areas for basketball & football?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

petemaravich
AHSFHS Forum Member

72 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  11:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always thought before the regions came along in football teams were in the same areas in both sports each year but I've found a few instances where teams seem to be in different areas

1999-2000 J.F. Shields
Basketball is in Area 1
Football is in Area 2

1999-2000 Linden
Basketball is in Area 5
Football is in Area 1

A few other teams seem to all be in different areas mostly in the 1999-2000 sports year. I was just wondering if this was a mistake or what the deal is because it seems to be mostly happening in those years. Some areas have the same teams in them just listed as different areas in football and basketball but a few like the two I listed are in those areas with different teams in each sport.

Keep in mind the years for the football would be the 1998 & 1999 seasons while the basketball would be 1999 & 2000.

From 1984-1993 I think the playoffs were set up the same for both as far as which areas played each other in the playoffs and the basketball going to the regionals and final four setup in 1994 changed all that but despite this I would have still thought a team would be in the same area in both sports.

Edited by - petemaravich on 07/04/2018 11:53:55

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  18:30:17  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It could be some areas had to be tweaked because teams didn't play football, yet played other sports. It also could be a school dropped basketball or football before the season, leaving not enough teams to play in the area, so they juggled the areas to make them have at least two teams in the areas. There were several instances back during area play, where there were only two teams in certain areas. There was also one instance where a school was scheduled to play the season in football, yet had to drop football prior to the year starting, after their schedule had already came out. And around the same time, another school which had previously decided not to field a team that year, Akron, I believe, decided to field a team, so they just gave the other teams schedule, area games and all, to the school that decided to field the team.

After I wrote this, I went and looked, and it was Akron that had the weird schedule for two years. I think I remember they decided not to field a football team, but then when the schedules were already made, decided to, yet didn't have any region to be placed in, nor a schedule. At the same time, St. Bernard dropped football, who was in the same area with Calhoun County area teams the previous cycle. That opened up an entire schedule for Akron. They were placed in an area with those teams from the Calhoun County area, way on the other side of the state.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

Edited by - svmounties on 07/04/2018 18:38:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07