General Discussion
 AHSAA & AISA at same time?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  11:15:45  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can a school have teams in both the AHSAA and AISA at the same time? I saw an article today about Spain Park opening their basketball season against Cornerstone, which I assumed was an AISA school. Then I got a reply back that they were 1A AHSAA. I looked in the sports book, and see that's the case. Yet their football team still plays in AISA. If this is the same school, I had no idea schools could be AISA in some sports and AHSAA in others.

I know here the AHSAA teams aren't allowed to crossover and play AISA teams in football, like they can in a similar situation in Florida. So that makes me wonder how a school can have teams in one association, and other teams in another. You'd think if Cornerstone moved their other sports to AHSAA, then their football team would be a comparable size to other 1A teams. So I don't see why they'd remain AISA, or be allowed to do so, since their other sports went to AHSAA. I knew of teams that went from the AISA to the AHSAA, but I assumed when they did so, all their sports went as well.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

dparker
Forum Admin

1402 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  11:24:27  Show Profile  Visit dparker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are two totally different schools. If you look under our basketball section you will find a school in Birmingham that is just named Cornerstone.

They are a AHSAA Class 1A school that does not field a football team. Actually have done pretty good in Basketball going 17-11 last year.

The other school is Cornerstone Christian and plays in the AISA. The AISA school is located in Columbiana in Shelby County.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  11:51:14  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No wonder I'm confused. Cornerstone is where Parkway Christian used to be. Cornerstone has been a private school in Woodlawn for years, but was just an elementary school. I pass by there every few days, and knew they were still in operation in Woodlawn. I never saw where they bought Parkway and expanded to a high school, while keeping the elementary in Woodlawn. Apparently that happened a few years ago. I guess that explains why there's no basketball seasons for Parkway listed since 2012. http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/03/cornerstone_schools_buys_parkw.html

Also, the address for Parkway in the basketball area is wrong. The address listed is the old Phillips High School. Parkway was at 959 Huffman Road, the same as the current Cornerstone address. The address is correct in the football section. http://www.christianschools.com/schools/Parkway-Christian-Academy-2926.htm

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  12:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Careful now SV. AHSAA might blame it on the printers again.

Randolph County Tigers / R.C.H.S.

2003 Class 2A State Champions, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  02:12:21  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wasn't the AHSAA this time. It was a nearby county's sports reporter, via Twitter. But it was also me not knowing there was another school named Cornerstone. It happens, lol. This was local to me, and I had no idea Parkway closed, or that Cornerstone, a private elementary in downtown Woodlawn, added a high school, lol. I'm generally good at keeping up with all that.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07