General Discussion
 AHSAA changes 1A-6A football brackets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  16:37:50  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The AHSAA has changed the football playoff brackets for 1A-6A. It wasn't any regional seeding that was wrong or anything, as in the past, this time they changed the brackets, from the second round, on. I have the original copy of the AHSAA Sports Book, and someone posted on an al.com article comment thread asking why the brackets were changed. So I looked around and found that, indeed, the brackets were changed. If you go to the AHSAA site and hover over the download of the sports book, it appears it was changed on October 18, last Wednesday. There was no release or anything stating they changed them, it just happened. I've been chatting with reporters on that thread who say there's no conspiracy, and if there was there would be an outcry from coaches, but I believe the coaches don't know. Why skew the brackets a few weeks before the playoffs, once several seedings are already set, other than to make an easier road for one of their darlings to get to the finals, or even a more attractive matchup or rematch, or to ensure a team that draws better has an easier road, or one that draws less has a harder road. It could even have been done by one person who thought no one would notice. If not for someone commenting on an article I found, I'd not have known, and no sportswriters seem to have noticed, either. I'd been using the original bracket I had from the sports book I downloaded in August. The two brackets are enclosed. The one on the top is the new one, and the one of the bottom is the original.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1261 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2017 :  21:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A response from thE AHSAA

Football Playoff Brackets
An error was made in the football playoff brackets by the printer when printing the Sport Book publication. The odd games on the brackets were placed in the incorrect quadrant. The revisions have been made to the online brackets of the Sports Book publication located on the website.
All first-round games remain the same. We are sorry for any inconveniences that this may have caused. If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 334-263-6994.
Thank you

https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaHighSchoolAthleticAssociation/?hc_ref=ARQTZN43KSYJ4NgwUBXgolzqJO2gOcNAywHL0Jgs2K5SIzbHTyYifkMgZBrppLydQbo&fref=nf
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2017 :  05:52:44  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting that it takes calling them out for them to post a message about it. Then they want to blame it on the printer. How can anything like that be a printers fault. Those things are already set, and sent to the printer. The printer doesn't shuffle brackets. They just print what they're sent. They publish the sports book back in August, then 'notice' something off about the brackets a few short weeks before the playoffs begin. Honestly to me, if you don't notice it until now, leave it be. It makes it look real fishy to shuffle the brackets once some seedings have already been set, and even more fishy to blame it on a printer. There may be nothing to it other than an error, as it seems every year there's some sport they make some error with playoff seedings/brackets or whatever, but it still looks fishy. I have a suspicion if the person who originally noticed it hadn't commented, they'd never have said anything about it. Then it really would have looked bad when someone like me brought up the changed brackets from the original sports book.

But I and the original poster already had figured it out after some discussion. What happens each year is they shuffle the bracket so each region plays a different region from the previous year in the first round. They then play a different combination in the second round. What they did was they shifted the regions from last year, but left the same combination for the second round instead of shifting the other half of the bracket to the other side. It's hard to explain, and I can see how they'd get confused doing it. Basically its like they do a complete opposite mirror of the previous year, and they'd only mirrored the first round for this year.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

Edited by - svmounties on 10/26/2017 05:59:52
Go to Top of Page

cwak
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

1261 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2017 :  19:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It continues the trend that transparency is not the AHSAA natural instinct.
I do have experience with this happening in golf, not the most covered sport, the past few season. The sports book having incorrect or not updated area and sub state host sites, stated new rules or rulings not showing up, and some parts of that section are vague and open to interpretation. It gets very frustrating for everyone with numerous calls to Montgomery to make sure you're doing right. If it wasn't for our coach knowing members of the committee we may never get answers.
Makes me wonder why something so integral seems slapped together and copy and pasted from year to year.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  00:42:48  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saying it was the printers' fault is like passing the buck so they don't get any more grief about it. It's almost like they just did it and hoped no one would notice. I'm fine with it if it was the bracket being incorrectly set, but don't blame it on a printer. I can't say I know much about printing, but I don't see how they'd get a bracket wrong. Printers just copy what they're sent, not edit it. But maybe I'm also wrong, who knows. I wonder what they'd have done if they didn't notice it until the first round had already been played.

I know I'm not happy because it puts us in a situation where we're going to probably have to face the #1 team in the second round, should we make it, as opposed to a rematch of a regular season game we should have won.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07