Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  09:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off the list you gave, I'd say Hokes Bluff/Jacksonville and a second game would be Plainview/Pisgah.

Randolph County Tigers / R.C.H.S.

2003 Class 2A State Champions, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  21:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woodville is probably a no just due to the travel to get there.

I didn't realize Gadsden City is a new stadium. Is it a rebuild on site, or a completely new stadium? I found it located via google maps.

The bigger schools generally not in my wheelhouse, either. Cedar Bluffs looks like a great place to see a game, but it appears the game is going to be horribly one-sided. And my first game in Alabama, I'd like to see a good contest.

At least Albertville qualifies in that regard. It does look recently redone based on streetview alone without researching its history.

I'm torn with the games in Pleasant Valley-Southside-Gadsden City, as well as whether North Jackson would work. Though that might be a bit further for travel on Friday.

Problem is, travel is just as big an issue as the stadium, seating availability, or quality of the game.

The original plan was to get to Montgomery on Wednesday night, and then see a game on Thursday night. Leave Friday for Bibb County, and stop somewhere around Birmingham Friday night. Would have been easy for travel all three days for games.

I'll consider Cedar Bluff, as the community and stadium look cool, but the game just looks like a dud.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  06:05:16  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gadsden City's stadium is the same age as the school. It is a completely new, consolidated school from when Gadsden High, Litchfield & Emma Sansom all merged. 'New' I say, being a dozen or so years old, but to me it's new. The stadium is snazzy, and looks more like a Division 2 or 3 college stadium than a high school one. The previous schools all played their games at Murphree Stadium in the older part of Gadsden. The new Gadsden City school is on Black Creek Parkway, right off of an interstate exit on the eastern side of the city. You don't even go into the main part of Gadsden to get there.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  23:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have found the old stadium. Found the new one you were talking about. Yeah, that's probably off the table.

As for my plans, all Thursday games in Georgia have been postponed or cancelled. So, the only option would be to drive all the way to Montgomery or Mobile for a game Thursday night. Even with the timezone difference, that's a bit of a stretch for one day.

So, with that in mind, which game is better even if both are a bit on a down side.

------

I tried posting this earlier this morning. But, it didn't post before I had closed the laptop. Anyways, I'm in Montgomery and just saw the Lanier-Russell County game. Lanier has some speed at wideout, the QB has an arm, run game was okay, and Russell County's blocking was bad. However, they started the game matching Lanier's first 75+ yard score with a long drive of their own to tie it at 7. Then, a 35-point second quarter squashed any hope for the Warriors.

Final, 51-7. Did seem odd that Lanier tried several field goals in the second half. Customary in Ohio to go for it on fourth down just running it into the line. A FG is generally considered 'tacky' when you're already up 5 scores. Though, it appears Alabama doesn't have a running clock. Which I like.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  00:24:12  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If a game is getting out of hand, or for whatever other reason, they can keep the clock running with the agreement of both coaches.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

GiglnTiger
AHSFHS Forum Superstar

374 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  05:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What SV said. In week one Randolph County was up 48-0 at the half with Barbour County. Both coaches agreed to 6 minute quarters with a continuing clock.

Have you decided on your Friday game yet? Hopefully you don't want 2 dud games in the same week.

Randolph County Tigers / R.C.H.S.

2003 Class 2A State Champions, 1998 Class 3A State Runner-Ups,
1984 Class 3A State Runner-Ups, 1979 Class 2A State Runner-Ups
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  07:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was considering North Jackson-Madison County, but found out it was played last night despite finding it online listed several places for Friday.

Any particular reason that game was on Thursday?

So, that narrows down my picks. Cedar Bluff is out because there's also not a hotel around. Albertville is looking more and more like my destination this evening. Just depends. Haven't 100% decided.

As for running clock, in Ohio and Pennsylvania it's mandatory (30 for Ohio, 35 for PA). Coaches can elect to shorten quarters as well. There was a 98-point first half in a game a few years ago in Ohio, and they played 1-minute quarters for the second half to end the game.
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  08:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still nowhere close to a decision.

Guntersville-Etowah and Albertville-Brewer are both 'bigger' schools it looks like with bigger stadiums. Of the two, A-B is the closer projected game.

North Jackson is out since they've played. Though they would've been closest to the game in Kentucky I'm headed to on Saturday night.

Cedar Bluff looks awesome, but the game is one sided. Cherokee County-Anniston is being played in Centre just 0.6 miles away. Stadium situation isn't as great.

Woodville looks ridiculously small. Game is projected to be close. Since I'm in Montgomery, it's not a far drive. Just getting a hotel in the area is an issue. Though being on 72 to Knoxville makes traveling out of there on Saturday quite easy compared to Centre/Cedar Bluff/Jacksonville.

Easy access to hotel makes Guntersville/Albertville the prime locations. I don't think I've ever had this much trouble narrowing down a game on a Friday night. Usually because I'd be at home and there'd be some place I hadn't been that catches my interest, or it's my team playing a good game somewhere I'm headed to that night.

Instead, it's wide open. I've never been anywhere around here for a game. So every place is an option to some extent. My wife may or may not go to the game tonight since her feet are still killing her from Disney World. If so, getting a hotel before the game close to the school/stadium is a must.
Go to Top of Page

svmounties
AHSFHS Moderator

1561 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  17:16:39  Show Profile  Visit svmounties's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw that Woodville stadium on google earth. It looks like its an afterthought in the middle of a pasture. Sort of a field of dreams type setting.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  18:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I settled on Gunterville-Etowah. Concrete stadium, great view of the hills and lake from the top row. Also, the hotel was within walking distance. Had Crawmama's before the game.
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  19:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad I didn't go to Cedar Bluff. 33-0 in the 1st. 0-0 in the second here at Guntersville.
Go to Top of Page

Sykotyk
New Forum Member

14 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  00:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great game. Shame Guntersville couldn't hold on. Were down 7-0 at the half on a 75 yard touchdown pass. Then, gave up another TD. Then, Guntersville got the smart idea to do a surprise punt on a fourth down where the QB was about 3 yards behind the LOS. It was blocked. Next play, Etowah scores to make it 20-0.

Then, Guntersville's passing game started to click. A deep pass to midfield that should have went much much further had the receiver cut to the outside instead of back inside right into the arms of the defender who had badly missed on the play. But, they get a TD. 20-7. Scored again. Then, stopped Etowah, and scored on a 66-yard touchdown pass with 5:50 left in the game to take a 21-20 lead.

And then Etowah went down the field aided by a facemask call on a long pass play. 1-yd QB sneak made it 26-21. PAT attempt failed. Guntersville moved down the field, but were stopped. Long pass play on 4th down was tipped twice by the receiver but fell just outside his open hand when he hit the field.

WIth timeouts, there was enough time to get the ball back. And originally they would have gotten about 20-25 seconds left, but a Etowah player faked an injury and got up exceptionally slow so they didn't start the 25 second clock until 30 seconds were left. It was ridiculous and why the officials didn't force them to waste a timeout for his theatrics, I don't know. Once the clock started counting down, he magically moved fine. With just over 5 seconds left, Etowah's QB just ran deep in his own territory down to around the 10 and ran out of bounds after the clock expired.

Great game. Too bad Guntersville couldn't get the passing game going in the first half. Plays were there. But they just couldn't connect on anything and according to the reporter there, had about 20 yards offense in the first half. Etowah had almost 200, most of which was on the 75 yard pass play.

Overall, great game. Guntersville is a great place to watch a game. Decent crowd. Shame a lot of fans started leaving after the punt block or the third TD going down 20-0.

Edited by - Sykotyk on 09/16/2017 01:14:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07