Forums Home | Profile | Join | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 History of High School Football in Alabama
 General Discussion
 2018/19 Classifications

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dparker Posted - 06/10/2018 : 17:22:45
I have intentionally not entered all the teams for sports other than football for the upcoming 2018-19 seasons. I will do so after the pending action by St. Paul's against the AHSAA. Once that is settled, if it ever is, I will see what I can do.

This could be a total disaster if St. Paul's wins an injunction against the AHSAA. I think they may win in the lower court only to have it overturned later by another court. That is usually what happens in these cases. It could create a huge problem with teams not knowing what classification they are in with the football season growing near. Many teams would need to make schedule adjustments if anything is changed.

No matter what the AHSAA does they will never, ever be able to create equality in sports. They should take some guidance from history and look at what NASCAR did when Bill France decided some 20 years ago to create a sport where all things are equal. It completely destroyed a very popular sport.

The AHSAA has never lost a lawsuit to my knowledge but this one could be a problem for them before it is over. I see a time when the private schools leave the AHSAA. Many other states play football where the public and private schools do not compete against each other the way Alabama does and it works just fine.

Win, lose or draw, lets just play some football this fall.There are many other problems just as big as this one that create an atmosphere of inequality in high school sports.

That is my two cent worth for the summer.

David Parker
Administrator
AHSFHS.org
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mcslate Posted - 07/10/2018 : 09:31:38
My school is in a similar boat to the example by bamajoe, it's Brewer. They haven't made the playoffs since 1999. None of the players on the team this year were even born when that happened. In order to "level the playing field" for schools dominating their classifications they bumped up Madison Academy into Brewer's region for the next two years. How in the world is it leveling the playing field by making MA play Brewer?

I favor going back to 1A-6A and then having a separate private schools class for the post season. Then I say the private schools can recruit away with all they got. Some of them might say that they don't recruit and my response would be "Better get started because your opponents are doing it." It's like driving 5 MPH under the limit so you won't get a ticket but then saying it takes too long to get from Point A to Point B, you're not exhausting all the options available to you.
svmounties Posted - 06/30/2018 : 04:30:18
Honestly, to me, I think if teams have different ways in which they acquire students, then they should be separated from the rest of the schools that are supposed to follow certain guidelines and zones. It's not fair that schools such as St. Paul's, McGill and the like can basically draw anybody they want to come to their school, but other public schools in their area are only allowed the ones that live in their allotted zone. And for those schools to be put into the same association, and play against each other isn't very fair. I see nothing wrong with balancing it out the way the AHSAA did in this new reclassification. And what was interesting to me is, only St. Paul's had an issue with it, all the other schools, even Madison Academy, went along with the change. To me it's greed in wanting to continue to hoard state titles, and wanting to dominate lesser opposition. Yet they turn it around and make it look like they're putting their student athletes in jeopardy by having them play up a class or two. Another way to solve it is to put them into a private class, or classes, and let them play select games against the rest of the association during the regular season, but compete against each other in the playoffs. There was mention that it wouldn't be fair for teams like St. Luke's to be paired against ones like St. Paul's, but that could be remedied by making two divisions, and two state titles for the private schools. Another way, would be to remove all private schools from the AHSAA.

I look at it like the coach mentioned by Bamajoe, who said their school worked their tails off to get to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years, and their reward was playing St. Paul's. I looked it up, and wonder if the coach was from Marbury, who played St. Paul's last year in the playoffs, after making the field for the first time in around 10 years. The coach also could have just been making an example. My school had a similar thing happen to us in 2011, when we made the playoffs for the first time since 2000, and our reward was a first round game against Hoover. I call it similar, because although public, Hoover is known for getting many of their players in less than honorable means.

I've been following high school football in the state since the early 80's, and I miss the days of parity when the season started and you felt most anybody had a chance. I don't like the times nowadays when all these teams are getting this mentality like they deserve the championship every single season, or are owed the title. You have some teams winning championships year after year, while there are other schools who've never won a single one, and fans of teams that would be happy just seeing their team win one state championship in football in their lifetime. I'll raise my hand there, and I'm sure David would be right there with me on that one. I just wish something could be done to even out the playing field everywhere, not just in the private schools, but also in these schools where everybody knows they're getting players to come to their schools by breaking the rules. The only way I see that happening, is if they don't allow players to play immediately when they transfer, bonafide move or not, and that's more than likely not going to happen.

Shane Paschal
Shades Valley High School
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
svmounties Posted - 06/28/2018 : 14:17:48
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/st_pauls_will_play_its_2018_fo.html

St. Paul's confirmed that their sports teams will indeed compete in Class 6A as mandated by the Alabama High School Athletic Association's new competitive balance rule.

I'll comment on your post later tonight, when I have the time to write out a longer reply, Bamajoe.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
BamaJoe Posted - 06/28/2018 : 13:01:27
quote:
Originally posted by svmounties

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/federal_judge_denies_st_pauls.html

Judge William Steele has denied St. Paul's motion for a preliminary injunction against the AHSAA's competitive balance rule.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

I think I am in favor of them not getting the injunction. I had the opportunity to listen to and talk to several coaches Monday and Tuesday of this week. I took my kids and a few of their teammates down to Coach Yeager's Southeastern Lineman Camp. (best big man skills improvement camp around) Of course this topic came up. I am just a fan/Parent/QB Club guy so my opinion doesn't matter to many. However, I was involved in this conversation. One of the public school coaches said it like this.

"I am limited to 13 miles from my school and only to where the busses run to get my kids. They (private schools) can go out 100 miles in any direction and get any kid that can get to their school and give them a scholarship. My kids work their butts off to go to the playoffs for the first time in 20 years and playing them is our reward? Don't seem like much of a reward to me."

I said I thought private schools should have to just play in their own division and if they wanted to have an arms race then so be it. They could all go after the best players and see who was the best coaches then. As a person who went to a county school and a parent of kids who go to a much larger county school. I can tell you neither has the resources to compete with a school who can pick and choose who plays at their school. We have to play the kids who show up.

A private school coach spoke up. he said the following "We don't do any of that, we don't do nothing that they do so what about us"

The public school coach said this " Maybe as a private school you can play a public school during the regular season and then play private schools in the playoff"

I think I kind of like that idea too. What is your thoughts on it SV, David, anyone else?

ROLL TRIBE!
svmounties Posted - 06/27/2018 : 13:01:10
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/federal_judge_denies_st_pauls.html

Judge William Steele has denied St. Paul's motion for a preliminary injunction against the AHSAA's competitive balance rule.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !
svmounties Posted - 06/19/2018 : 17:09:55
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/06/judge_cancels_hearing_in_st_pa.html

Judge William H. Steele will rule on St. Paul's federal civil lawsuit against the Alabama High School Athletic Association without a hearing. Steele submitted an order Tuesday afternoon, canceling Friday's scheduled 10 a.m. hearing in the highly publicized case. No exact timetable for a ruling was given. The written ruling will come "as soon as is reasonably practicable," according to Steele's order.

Shane Paschal
Class of 1986
Go Mounties !

AHSFHS.org Forums © 2007-09 AHSFHS.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07